Collection of etiological legends
Collection of etiological legends
Contains legends concerning the origin of people, animals, plants, practices, placenames, celestial phenomena, surnames, and names of products. Also, legends about the ways natural features, plants, animals, customary names of years, human skin color, and locations acquired attributes or names. Items were collected by students in folklore classes at Brigham Young University, Utah State University, and the University of Utah from 1951 to 2005. Most of the items are typewritten, but a few of the older items are handwritten. Many of the items contain a description of how, when, and where they were collected as well as explanations of social and cultural contexts.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Call Number: FA 6
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; William A. Wilson Folklore Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Arranged in ten series: 1. Collection of legends about celestial phenomena and meteorological events, 1967-2005. 2. Collection of legens about the origin of earth and geographic features, 1961-2001. 3. Collection of legends about the origin of animals and animal characteristics, 1966-1997. 4. Collection of legends about the origin of people and human characteristics, 1967-1998. 5. Collection of legends about the origin of plants, 1960-1991. 6. Collection of legends about the origin of beliefs, 1967-1997. 7. Collection of legends about origin customs, 1951-2005. 8. Collection of legends about place names, 1974. 9. Collection of legends about the origin of product names and products, 2000-2004. 10. Collection of legends about surnames and genealogy, 1961-1995.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Collection of etiological legends must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: FA 6; Collection of etiological legends; Wilson Folklore Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: FA 6, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Various folklore students; 1960-2007.
- Future Additions
- Approximately 0.08 linear feet added to collection per year.
- Subject Terms
- Names--Folklore; Onomastics
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Area of specialization is student generated folklore IV, a, i , 4.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Collection of etiological legends
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kristi Young
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-09-10T12:23-0600
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
5.0.1. in FA 6
Crosses on Lamoille Rock / Rita Mori
Why the mountain crumbles / Tanya Bascom
The names of the years / Barbara Thompson
Dates: 1967 January
Falling Rock story / Joshua Godfrey
Dates: 2001 January 23
Falling Rock / Daniel Jewell
Dates: 1997 September 17
Sushijaza / Katy Calhoun
Collection of legends about celestial phenomena and meteorological events
Collection of legends about the origin of earth and geographic features
Collection of legends about the origin of animals and animal characteristics
Collection of legends about the origin of people and human characteristics
Collection of legends about the origin of plants
Collection of legends about the origin of beliefs
Collection of legends about origin of customs
Collection of legends about place names
Collection of legends about the origin of products and names of products
Dates: 1974 October 17
Collection of legends about surnames and genealogy
Help with this Collection
Curator - William A. Wilson Folklore Archives