Clarence D. Taylor papers
Clarence D. Taylor papers
Contains photographs, family history materials, letters, and other papers of Taylor. Collected materials contain information about Provo history, including his grandfather's business, Taylor Brothers Department Store; about his father's business, Dixon-Taylor-Russell Company; about the Lake Resort Provana; about the Wildwood Resort in Provo Canyon; about the Brickerhaven Country Club; about the Bonneville Development Corporation which developed the hills east of Provo; about the construction of Taylor Terrace, east of the Provo Temple; about the Taylor Family Trust. The photographs also document historic Provo and Taylor's ancestors. The family history materials describe Taylor's ancestors and his relationship to them, and the letters document his experience as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and his experience in the United States military during World War II.
- Extent: 3 oversize boxes (3 linear ft.). -- 38 boxes (19 linear ft.)
- Creator: Taylor, Clarence D. (Clarence Dixon), 1909-2005
- Call Number: MSS 3254
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Collection contains four archival series: 1. Clarence D. Taylor photographs, 1820-2005. 2. Clarence D. Taylor correspondence, 1930-2000. 3. Clarence D. Taylor family history papers, 1872-2004. 4. Clarence D. Taylor personal papers, 1938-2005.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Clarence D. Taylor papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3254; Clarence D. Taylor papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3254, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were created and held by creator until his death. Then held by John Arthur Taylor, Henry Dixon Taylor Jr., and Kenneth Taylor Kartchner, after Taylor's death. This collection was donated by John Arthur Taylor and George Taylor in 2007.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; John Arthur Taylor and George Taylor; 2007.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS3254.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--South Africa; Taylor family; Taylor, Clarence D. (Clarence Dixon), 1909-2005--Archives; Business enterprises--Utah--Provo; Family histories; Mormon Church--Missions--South Africa; Mormon missionaries--South Africa; Mormon missionaries--South Africa--Correspondence; Provo (Utah); World War, 1939-1945
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Photographs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kathleen Finlinson, Whitney Peterson, Lionel Thomas; 2011. Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, and John M. Murphy; 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.I, August 2007.) Documents the life and family history of a prominent family of Provo, Utah.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Taylor (Clarence D.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth Ballif, Pete Hoyt, and John M. Murphy
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-24T04:03-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Clarence D. Taylor (1909-2005) was a family historian in Provo, Utah.
Clarence Dixon Taylor was born May 11, 1909, in Provo, Utah, to Arthur N. Taylor and Maria Dixon Taylor. He grew up in Provo, Utah. From 1930 to 1933, Taylor served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the South African mission. Taylor graduated from Brigham Young University in 1936. He then worked at his family's furniture business until it closed in 1964. After the furniture business closed, he spent the next ten years before he retired managing accounts in the BYU Bookstore. During World War II, Taylor served in the European Theatre. He spent much of his life gathering family history information about his ancestors. Clarence Dixon Taylor died May 21, 2005.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 3254
Clarence D. Taylor photographs
Clarence D. Taylor correspondence
Dates: bulk 1930-1945----1930-2000
Clarence D. Taylor family history papers
Dates: bulk 1960-2004----1872-2004
Clarence D. Taylor personal papers
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts