W. Eugene Smith photograph
W. Eugene Smith photograph
This collection includes one mounted photograph (61cm X 51cm) of "Soldier In Saipan Holds Baby, Other Soldier Looks On" take by W. Eugene Smith during World War II in Saipan 1944.
- Extent: 1 oversize folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Smith, W. Eugene, 1918-1978
- Call Number: MSS 7720
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Photograph Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in English.
- Technical Requirements
- Kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
- Maintained in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from W. Eugene Smith photograph must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7720; W. Eugene Smith photograph; Photograph Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7720, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- This collection was purchased by L. Tom Perry Special Collections from Charles Schwartz, 2010. It was printed in the 1960's for the Jewish Museum exhibition.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Charles Schwartz; 2010.
- Subject Terms
- Smith, W. Eugene, 1918-1978--Photographs; Images; Material Types; Saipan, Battle of, Northern Mariana Islands, 1944--Photographs; World War, 1939-1945--Photographs
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lionel Thomas, student photograph processor; 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Photographs (Photograph Archives).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Smith (W. Eugene) photograph
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lionel Thomas
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-07-21T11:22-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
William Eugene Smith (1918-1978) was an American photographer who took photographs for various newpapers and magazines along with photographs of World War II.
William Eugene Smith was born in Wichita, Kansas, in 1918. At the age of 14, he was interested in aeronautical engineering and borrowed a camera from his mother (also an enthusiastic photographer) to take pictures of the planes at the local airport. In 1936, at age 18, he entered Notre Dame University, which he left a year later. He then went to New York and joined the staff of "Newsweek" magazine and eventually did free lance work for "Life," "Colliers," "American," "The New York Times," and other publications. In 1942 he became a war correspondent for Ziff-Davis and then "Life," during which time he took many pictures on the front lines. He died in 1978.
comments powered by Disqus