Orson Spencer letters
Orson Spencer letters
Photocopies of handwritten letters. Also included are typescripts of two of the items. The letters were written to Spencer's children when he was in St. Louis, Missouri and largely relate to family matters. Spencer gives fatherly advice to his daughters in a Mormon theological framework on how to conduct themselves and how to treat men.
- Extent: 4 items (19 leaves)(0.03 linear ft.)
- Creator: Spencer, Orson, 1802-1855
- Call Number: MSS SC 1976
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Orson Spencer letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 1976; Orson Spencer letters; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 1976, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Spencer, Orson, 1802-1855--Correspondence; Educators--Utah--Correspondence; Home and Family; Material Types; Mormon Church--Doctrines--History--19th century; Mormon women--Utah--Salt Lake City--History--Sources; Mormons--Missouri--St. Louis--Correspondence; Social Life and Customs
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Spencer (Orson) letters
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-04T17:04-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon Church leader and educator. Spencer graduated from the theological college at Hamilton, New York and served as an alderman at Nauvoo, Illinois and as chancellor to the University of Deseret in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was the president of the British Mission and the St. Louis Stake for the Mormon Church.
comments powered by Disqus