School of Music records
School of Music records
Collection includes administrative files and faculty histories for Brigham Young University School of Music. Included are annual reports, faculty responsibilities, curriculum changes, oral histories, scrapbooks and musical performances. Creation dates range from 1986 to 2011.
- Extent: 5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.). -- 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Music. -- Brigham Young University. School of Music
- Call Number: UA 5538
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2036) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in 2 series: 1. School of Music administrative files, 1986-2009. 2. School of Music faculty histories, 2008-2011.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from School of Music records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Box 5 missing since 2010.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 5538; School of Music records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations:UA 5538, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were compiled by the School of Music and transferred to the University Archives in July 2010. Additional materials were transferred in May 2012. Transferred from Records Management in May 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; School of Music; July 2010. Transferred; School of Music; May 2012. Transferred; Records Management; May 2013.
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. School of Music; Colleges and Universities; Education; Education, Higher--Utah--Provo; Music teachers--Utah--Provo; Universities and colleges--Utah--Provo--Faculty
- Genre / Form
- Curriculum; DVDs; Filmed performances; Oral histories; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; July 2010. Processed; Dani Peterson; May 2012. Processed; Sarah Leavitt; May 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- School of Music records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by J. Gordon Daines III
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-09T17:56-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The School of Music (1998- ) operates under the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University and provides undergraduate and graduate degrees in various musical fields.
The Department of Music was renamed in 1998 as the School of Music. The school offers degrees in the disciplines of: theory, analysis, aural development, keyboard, sight-singing skills, composition, history, literature, instrumental and vocal performance, conducting, and pedagogy. The school operates under a director who reports to the Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Directors have included David M. Randall (1998-2004), Dale E. Monson (2004-2009), and Kory Katseanes (2009- ).
Department of Music (1920-1998) was responsible for teaching a variety of courses in music. The courses included: basic voice, choir, military band, piano, orchestra, band, solfeggio, and composition. Private courses were available to students at an additional cost in violin, clarinet, and cornet. Beginning in 1921 music theory courses were added to the curriculum.
The department was administered by a department chair, under the direction of a college dean. The department was associated with various colleges, including the School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921), the College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1925), the College of Fine Arts (1925-1964), and the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1964-1998).
The Department of Music was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series I in UA 5538
School of Music administrative files
School of Music faculty histories
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives