Russell R. Rich papers
Russell R. Rich papers
Includes talks, correspondence, class lectures, and research. Also included are research notes and chapter drafts for "Ensign to the Nations."
- Extent: 42 boxes (21 linear ft.)
- Creator: Rich, Russell R., 1912
- Call Number: UA 611
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into fourteen series: 1. Personal files. 2. Teaching career materials. 3. Correspondence. 4. Undergraduate class materials. 5. Graduate class materials. 6. Graduate program materials. 7. Miscellaneous papers. 8. Home study papers. 9. Collection of student papers. 10. Bound student papers. 11. Writings and talks. 12. Papers on Mormon splinter groups. 13. Miscellaneous materials. 14. Addendum.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Russell R. Rich collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 611; Russell R. Rich collection; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 611, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The bulk of this collection was donated by the Riches in 1981. Renee Mounteer donated 4 linear feet of material in March 2001.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Rich family; 1981. Donated; Renee Mounteer; 2001.
- Separated Material
- A box of photographs has been transferred to the UA Photo archives. The photographs include photos from various trips he took, photos dealing with Mormon schisms, photos of various LDS Church history sites, photos used in his book Ensign to the Nations, and College of Religion faculty photos. Photocopies have been made of his photos dealing with Mormon splinter groups and have been placed with the other material relating to these various churches.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA611.xml
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. College of Religious Instruction; Brigham Young University. Division of Religion; Christian sects--United States; Colleges and Universities; Education; Mormon Church--History
- Genre / Form
- Lectures; Letters; Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Processing Information
- Processed; Chad Orton, David Whittaker and J. Gordon Daines III; 1984.
- Appraisal Information
- The University seeks to document the history of its instructors and other faculty members. (Univeresity Archives Collecting Policy, 2003)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Rich (Russell R.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Chad Orton, David Whittaker and J. Gordon Daines III
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-03-22T13:31-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Russell R. Rich (1912-1988) was a Mormon religious instructor in Utah.
Russell Rogers Rich was born January 5, 1912 to Jesse Pomeroy and Louise Rogers Rich in Chicago, Illinois. His father was a law student at the University of Chicago at the time of his birth. He attended school in Preston, Idaho and Logan, Utah, graduating from Logan High School in 1929. While in high school, he participated in both track and football. He attended one year at Utah State Agricultural College in Logan, Utah, before serving as an Mormon missionary in Germany and Austria from 1930-1933. He graduated from Utah State in 1936, serving as student body president his senior year.
Following graduation, Rich accepted a position in the LDS Church Education System. He taught seminary in Driggs, Idaho and Logan, Utah. In 1946 he accepted the position of Director of the Institute of Religion at Arizona State University in Tempe. He was awarded a master's degree in Church History from Brigham Young University in 1949 and the following year was appointed Institute Director at the University of Wyoming. In 1953 he was transferred to Brigham Young University where he taught for twenty-four years for the College of Religion. From 1955 to 1960 he served as chairman of the Church History Department. He retired from active teaching in 1977. In 1955 he was awarded a Doctor of Education degree from the University of Wyoming.
Among the many classes Rich taught at BYU were the survey classes in LDS Church History (Religion 341, 342, 343) for which he prepared a detailed study guide to B.H. Robert's Comprehensive History of the Church. He also authored the current textbook for Religion 342, (History of the Church, 1846 to 1900) Ensign to the Nations. Rich taught several graduate classes in Mormon history, the student papers from these classes are an important part of this collection.
Rich is best known for his study of Mormon schismatic movements. He is an expert on various Mormon splinter groups, spending many of his summers visiting with these various groups and corresponding frequently with these various groups and corresponding frequently with the various churches' leaders and members. He not only collected their literature on his visits, but he also frequently subscribed to their publications. During the late 1950s and early 1960s he delivered several Leadership Week lectures on his research of these churches which were later published.
Rich married Margeret Cardon on June, 1936, in the Salt Lake City Temple and they are the parents of seven children. The Riches served as tour guides in the Independence, Missouri, Visitor's Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1981 to 1983.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 611
Russell R. Rich personal files
Dates: circa 1958-1977
Russell R. Rich teaching career materials
Russell R. Rich correspondence
Russell R. Rich undergraduate class materials
Dates: circa 1974
Russell R. Rich graduate class materials
Russell R. Rich graduate program materials
Russell R. Rich miscellaneous papers
Russell R. Rich home study papers
Russell R. Rich collection of student papers
Russell R. Rich collection of bound student papers
Dates: circa 1971
Russell R. Rich writings and talks
Russell Rich R. papers on Mormon splinter groups
Russell R. Rich miscellaneous materials
Dates: 11 September 1983
Russell R. Rich papers addendum
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives