Centennial Committee records
Centennial Committee records
The collection contains reports, photographs, and memorabilia from the Centennial Committee dated 1975-1976.
- Extent: 8 boxes (4 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Centennial Committee
- Call Number: UA 695
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The materials were left in the original order found in the notebooks.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Centennial Committee records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 695; Centennial Committee records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: University Archives, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from the Centennial Committee in 2002 and October 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Centennial Committee; 2002 and October 2009.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA695.xml
- Related Material
- See also Centennial history collection, 1942-1985 (UA 930). See also Brigham Young University Centennial Committee Records, 1973-1976 (UA 1124). See also Brigham Young University Centennial History Committee Records, 1972-1976 (UA 566).
- Subject Terms
- Wheelwright, Lorin Farrar, 1909-1987; Colleges and Universities; Education
- Genre / Form
- Photographs; Reports; Souvenirs (Keepsakes)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Joel Mathews; 2002. Processed; Matthew Leavitt; October 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Centennial Committee records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-06-14T15:16-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Centennial Committee was established to create a year long celebration of the founding and growth of Brigham Young University.
A Centennial Committee of twelve was organized in 1970 with Heber G. Wolsey as chairman. Upon Wolsey's resignation in 1973, President Dallin Oaks appointed Lorin F. Wheelwright as chairman and executive leader of the Centennial. Dr. Wheelwright, who was about to retire as Dean of Fine Arts and Communications, served as chair until 1976, when the Centennial Committee was disbanded. Dr. Wheelwright was given a mandate to create a celebration of major proportions celebrating the founding and growth of Brigham Young University. The Centennial was to be theme centered, and would encompass the creation of major monuments and artistic productions. The Centennial would begin April 1975 and end with commencement one year later, April 1976.
comments powered by Disqus