Collection of customs
Collection of customs
Contains descriptions of individual, family, and group customs. Items were collected by students in folklore classes at Brigham Young University, Utah State University, and the University of Utah from 1960 to 2007. Most of the items are typewritten, but a few of the older items are handwritten. Many of the items contain a description of how, when, and where they were collected, as well as explanations of social and cultural contexts.
- Extent: 9 boxes (4.5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: FA 14
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; William A. Wilson Folklore Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in ten series: 1. Collection of courtship and marriage customs. 2. Collection of family traditions. 3. Collection of avocation customs. 4. Collection of occupation customs. 5. Collection of household customs. 6. Collection of customs relating to friends. 7. Collection of school customs. 8. Collection of holiday customs. 9. Collection of religious customs. 10. Collection of death and funeral customs.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Collection of Customs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: FA 14; Collection of customs; Wilson Folklore Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: FA 14, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Various folklore students; 1960-2007
- Subject Terms
- Families--Folklore; Manners and customs--Folklore
- Appraisal Information
- Collection adds approximately 0.08 linear feet per year.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Collection of customs
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kristi Young
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-06-08T04:11-0600
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
0.1. in FA 14
The Hopi So'yokos / Melissa Freeman
Dates: 1994 March 3
Name tags / Elizabeth Hudson
American Indian customs / Gayle Hall
Culture differences / Lars A. Longnecker
Dates: 2000 January 12
Collection of courtship and marriage customs
Collection of family traditions
Collection of avocation customs
Collection of occupation customs
Collection of household customs
Collection of customs relating to friends
Collection of school customs
Collection of holiday customs
Collection of religious customs
Collection of death and funeral customs
Help with this Collection
Curator - William A. Wilson Folklore Archives