Collection of personal narratives
Collection of personal narratives
Contains personal narratives, mostly from informants interviewed by students taking folklore classes at Brigham Young University. Narratives fall into several categories, and describe informants' thoughts, feelings, and memories relating to the occurances described. The collection contains narratives that fall into multiple categories and span several decades.
- Extent: 17 boxes (8.5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: FA 8
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; William A. Wilson Folklore Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in 19 series: 1. Collection of women's narratives, 1978-2012. 2. Collection of men's narratives, 1978-2012. 3. Collection of religious narratives, 1925-2012. 4. Collection of supernatural non-religious narratives, 1970-2010. 5. Collection of dream narratives, 1961-2008. 6. Collection of BYU narratives, 1990-2008. 7. Collection of family narratives, 1931-2012. 8. Collection of pioneer narratives, 1965-2003. 9. Collection of immigrant narratives, 1992-2008. 10. Collection of travel narratives, 1978-2010. 11. Collection of improvised or fictive narratives, 1970-2011. 12. Collection of occupational narratives, 1982-2012. 13. Collection of physical ailment narratives, 1951-2010. 14. Collection of sports narratives, 1981-2010. 15. Collection of military service narratives, 1992-2010. 16. Collection of narratives about confronting death, 1961-2007. 17. Collection of lamentations about yesterday, 1991-1971. 18. Collection of disaster narratives, 1999-2004. 19. Collection of speech error narratives, 1995-2002.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Collection of personal narratives must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: FA 8; Collection of personal narratives; Wilson Folklore Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: FA 8, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Personal narratives in the collection were generally collected from informants by students in Brigham Young University folklore classes. These narratives were submitted for class, then submitted to the William A. Wilson Folklore Archives at Brigham Young University.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; various folklore students; 1925-2012.
- Future Additions
- .08 linear feet per year.
- Subject Terms
- Folklore--Utah; Mormons--Folklore
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Narratives were submitted by Brigham Young University students taking folklore classes, collected by teachers, and submitted to the William A. Wilson Folklore Archives. Items were then filed, numbered, processed and collected into a finding aid by student employees Libby Thomas and Claire Sorensen under the supervision of curator Kristi A. Bell.
- Appraisal Information
- Area of specialization is student generated folklore IV, a, i , 4
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Collection of personal narratives
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Finding aid prepared by Kristi Young, Claire Sorensen, and Libby Thomas
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-09-04T10:00-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
184.108.40.206. in FA 8
The story of Vernus / Susan Collins
Dates: 2001 September 23
Only in Utah / Debra Hanks
Dates: 1997 September 16
Bubble gum / Richard Wheeler
The last resort / Jennifer Andrew
Dates: 1982 September 25
Macey's trivia prize / Amy Tibbitts
Dates: 1999 January 15
Too much coffee / Jacqueline Laurel
Dates: 2001 October 2
Dinosaur round-up rodeo / Derek Bunderson
Greek festival / Terence Berry
The muddy derby / Ian Frost
Demolition derby / Ian Frost
Greek festival / Courtney Hansen
Collection of women's narratives
Collection of men's narratives
Collection of religious narratives
Collection of supernatural narratives
Collection of dream narratives
Collection of Brigham Young University narratives
Collection of family narratives
Collection of pioneer and early Mormon history narratives
Collection of immigrant narratives
Collection of travel narratives
Collection of improvised or fictive narratives
Collection of occupational narratives
Collection of physical ailment narratives
Collection of sports narratives
Collection of military service narratives
Collection of narratives about confronting death
Collections of lamentations about yesterday
Collections of disaster narratives
Collection of speech error narratives
Help with this Collection
Curator - William A. Wilson Folklore Archives