Collection of folktales
Collection of folktales
Collection contains jokes, anecdotes, folktales, formula tales, and tall tales. Items were collected by students in folklore classes at Brigham Young University and Utah State University from 1960 to 2007. Most of the items are typewritten, but a few of the older items are handwritten. Many of the items contain a description of how, when, and where they were collected. The jokes contain social and cultural contexts to explain their humor.
- Extent: 24 boxes (12 linear ft.)
- Call Number: FA 9
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; William A. Wilson Folklore Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in five series: 1. Collection of animal folktales, circa 1957-1980, 1998 July 12. 2. Collection of ordinary folktales, 1958-1998. 3. Collection of jokes and anecdota, circa 1950-2000. 4. Collection of formula tales, circa 1931-1932, circa 1967-1986. 5. Collection of tall tales, circa 1890, 1919-1920, circa 1950-1998.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Wilson Folklore Archives must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: FA 9; Wilson Folklore Archives collection of jokes and folktales; Wilson Folklore Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: FA 9, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Various folklore students; 1960-2007
- Future Additions
- .08 linear feet per year
- Subject Terms
- Folklore; Folklore--Utah; Mormons--Folklore
- Appraisal Information
- Area of specialization is student generated folklore IV, a, i , 4
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Collection of folktales
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kristi Young
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-04T04:19-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in FA 9
Collection of animal folktales
Dates: 1998 July 12----approximately 1957-1980
Collection of ordinary folktales
Collection of jokes and anecdotes
Dates: circa 1950-2000
Collection of formula tales
Dates: approximately 1931-1932----approximately 1967-1986
Collection of tall tales
Dates: appoximately 1950-1998----approximately 1890----1919-1920
Help with this Collection
Curator - William A. Wilson Folklore Archives