George Washington Bean diaries
George Washington Bean diaries
Handwritten diaries, two autobiographies, account books, patriarchal blessings, biographies of family members, and Bean family history and genealogy. Bean writes about his early life and migration to Utah; his work as an Indian interpreter from 1852 to 1853; his pursuit of the Ute chief, Walker, in 1854; his Indian mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Las Vegas, Nevada from 1855 to 1856; his life in Provo, Utah; his participation in the Black Hawk Indian War; and his work as a patriarch for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. With the collection are photocopies of Books 1, 3, 6, and 7 of the diaries. Also included are a "Book of William Cluff" and a "Family Record of George Washington Bean." These materials were photocopied from the 920 microfilm collection.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.) : (9 v. : 33p.) (6 folders : ca 300 p.)
- Creator: Bean, George Washington, 1831-1897
- Call Number: MSS 1038
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from George Washington Bean diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Formerly in film call number: 920 no. 10.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1038; George Washington Bean diaries; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1038, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Iris Marcroft; 1975.
- Subject Terms
- Ute Indians--Wars--History; Mormon pioneers--History; Black Hawk War (Utah), 1865-1872; Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church)--History; Richfield (Utah)--History; Indians of North America--Nevada--Las Vegas--History; Mormons--Utah--History; Provo (Utah)--History; Material Types; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Biography--19th century; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Bean, Elizabeth Baum, 1834-1916; Bean, Emily Haws, 1836-1908; Bean, George Washington, 1831-1897; Bean, George Washington, 1831-1897--Diaries; Utah. Militia--History; Bean, Willard Washington, 1868-1949; Bean, Mary Jane Wall, 1841-1891; Cluff, William Wallace, 1832-1915
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Autobiographies
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bean (George Washington) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-02-11 12:25:00 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Probate judge in Provo and Richfield, Utah; county assessor and collector; deputy United States marshall; farmer; Utah legislator; prosecuting attorney, and member of the Utah Militia.
comments powered by Disqus