John Whitmer letter
John Whitmer letter
Handwritten and signed letter, dated 29 Aug. 1837, and addressed to the Mormon Church leaders, David Whitmer and Oliver Cowdery. Whitmer writes about the title to lands in Far West, Missouri. The sheet also includes a some miscellaneous notes and scribblings from 1862. Also included is a typescript of the item.
- Extent: 2 items (2 p.)
- Creator: Whitmer, John, 1802-1878
- Call Number: MSS 1215
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: The original copy of the letter is in the Yale University Library, and permission to rerint or quote any part of the item must be obtained.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1215; Letter; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1215, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Cowdery, Oliver; Whitmer, David, 1805-1888; Correspondence; Far West (Mo.)--History--Sources; Material Types; Mormon Church--Apostles; Mormons--Missouri--Far West--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Whitmer (John) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-10-25T12:44-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon Church leader and one of the original "Eight Witnesses" to the authenticity of the Book of Mormon.
comments powered by Disqus