Circuit Court legal documents
Circuit Court legal documents
Photocopies of handwritten legal documents. The collection includes petitions, contracts, appeals, court orders, and summonses involving members of the Mormon Church.
- Extent: 4 folders (23 items)
- Creator: Illinois. Circuit Court (Hancock Co.)
- Call Number: MSS 1247
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Circuit Court legal documents must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1247; Circuit Court legal documents; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1247, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Civil Procedure and Courts; Hancock County (Ill.)--History--Sources; Mormons--Illinois--Hancock County--History--Sources; Mormons--Illinois--Nauvoo--History--Sources; Nauvoo (Ill.)--History--Sources; Politics, Government, and Law
- Genre / Form
- Affidavits; Contracts; Summonses
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Circuit Court legal documents
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-03-29T16:42-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Circuit Court was the highest judicial authority in Hancock County.
The circuit court system was established in 1814 in Illinois Territory. The courts were given civil and criminal jurisdiction, and were originally presided over by a member of the Supreme Court assigned to the circuit. With the admission of Illinois to the Union in 1824, five circuits were established with separate judges appointed to the circuit courts. Hancock County was formed in 1825, with the original courthouse in Montebello. In 1827 the circuit judges were removed and replaced by the Supreme Court justices. In 1833 the Hancock County courthouse was moved to Carthage. In 1835, separate circuit judges were again appointed and a sixth circuit created. This continued until 1841, when the circuit courts were again dissolved and the Supreme Court judges returned to the circuit courts. Then, with the Constitution of 1848, the courts again were placed under the direction of circuit judges.
comments powered by Disqus