Theodore Fuchs papers
Theodore Fuchs papers
Contains holographs, typescripts, drawings, and printed materials. Includes correspondence, manuscripts of published and unpublished studies of stage lighting, records of completed stage lighting projects, engineering drawings, teaching materials, theater workshop records, and various personal materials. Dates from between 1921 and 1978.
- Extent: 72 boxes (36 linear ft.). -- 3 containers (12 linear ft.)
- Creator: Fuchs, Theodore
- Call Number: MSS 125
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in eleven series: 1. Correspondence, 1929-76. 2. Writings, 1926-1968. 3. Registered theater engineer and consultant, 1934-1977. 4. Engineering drawings, sketches, and blueprints, 1934-1978. 5. Professional organizations, 1950-1974. 6. Lighting designer, 1938-1957. 7. Professor at Northwestern University, 1927-1967. 8. Director of the Northwestern Theatre Workshop, approximately 1950-1960. 9. Productions, 1931-1959. 10. Reference materials, 1929-1963. 11. Personal materials, approximately 1925-1980.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Theodore Fuchs papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Photographs have been transferred to the Photo Archives of BYU under the number MSS P 157. Gift of Theodore Fuchs, 1974.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 125; Theodore Fuchs papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 125, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased; 2015.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; 2015.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. ="onRequest" ="http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS125.xml" ="new" title="The Theodore Fuchs Collection"
- Related Material
- See also Theodore Fuchs photographs (MSS P 157)
- Subject Terms
- Social Life and Customs; Media and Communication; Theater management; Theater architecture; Stage lighting; Theaters--Lighting; Fuchs, Theodore; Fuchs, Theodore--Archives
- Processing Information
- Processed; Clarissa McIntire, student manuscript processor, and Cory Nimer, curator; 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Fuchs (Theodore) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Amy Perez
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-02-29 11:39:03 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Theodore Fuchs was a theatrical lighting designer, engineer and consultant, as well as a professor of theater at Northwestern University.
Born in 1904, Theodore Fuchs graduated from high school at age 15, and graduated from college with degrees in both chemical and electrical engineering by age 19. After graduating, Fuchs joined the staff at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, where he worked as a professor of theater. He collaborated with other professors on on experiments with engineering and the aesthetics of lighting that developed the technology, system, and vocabulary of the stage.
In 1929, Fuchs published "Stage Lighting," one of the earliest theatrical lighting texts. In 1970, 42 years after taking the position at Northwestern University, Fuchs retired. At the Kansas City Conference in 1980, he was presented with the USITT award for his contributions to the theatre.
Fuchs passed away some time later.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 125
Theodore Fuchs correspondence
Theodore Fuchs writings
Theodore Fuchs papers on theater engineering and consulting
Theodore Fuchs engineering drawings, sketches, and blueprints
Theodore Fuchs papers on professional organizations
Theodore Fuchs papers on lighting design
Theodore Fuchs papers on Northwestern University
Theodore Fuchs papers on the Northwestern Theatre Workshop
Dates: approximately 1950-1960
Theodore Fuchs papers on productions
Theodore Fuchs reference materials
Theodore Fuchs personal papers
Dates: approximately 1925-1980
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts