Rose M. and Harvard R. Hinton papers
Rose M. and Harvard R. Hinton papers
Collection includes papers, letters, autobiographies, photographs, memorabilia, and histories, mostly photocopied. Most of the documents relate to personal and family matters. Also contains the journals and documents of the Harvard and Rose Hinton family. Includes family histories, family photos, correspondences, newspaper clippings relating to the lives of their parents, children, and grandchildren. Information is included about Harvard R. Hinton's life as a lawyer and father, as well as his early education and mission journals. Also contains information related to the history of Lehi, Utah. Includes information from their missions to Africa and Europe. Dated circa 1928-2011.
- Extent: 1 half box (0.25 linear ft.). -- 19 cartons (19 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hinton, Harvard R.. -- Hinton, Rose M. (Rose Marie), 1928
- Call Number: MSS 14
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection contains two archival series: 1. Rose Marie Hinton family journals, 1928-2010. 2. Harvard R. Hinton papers, 1928-2011.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Rose Marie and Harvard R. Hinton papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 14; Rose Marie and Harvard R. Hinton papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 14, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Harvard and Rose Hinton in 1978. Addition donated by Harvard and Rose Hinton in 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Harvard and Rose Hinton; 1978. Addition Donated; Harvard and Rose Hinton; 2012.
- Subject Terms
- Hinton, Harvard R.; Hinton, Rose M. (Rose Marie), 1928---Archives; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Home and Family; Lehi (Utah)--History; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Africa; Mormon missionaries--Europe; Mormon women--Utah--Lehi--Biography; Mormons--Family relationships--Utah--Lehi--History--Sources; Social Life and Customs; Utah--Politics and government--20th century
- Genre / Form
- Autobiographies; Diaries; Letters; Photocopies; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Peter Hoyt, student manuscript processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2011. Addition processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscript processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history. (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007.) Details the life of the Hinton family in Lehi, Utah.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hinton (Rose Marie and Harvard R.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-05-09T10:08-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Harvard R. Hinton (born 1921) was an attorney and politician from Utah.
Harvard Roy Hinton was born on May 22, 1921 in Hurricane, Utah, to Bernard and Isabel Hinton. He grew up in Hurricane, then attended the Branch Agricultural School until 1944, when he enlisted in the Army. His service ended in 1946. He attended BYU and married Rose Marie Brokaw on November 22, 1950 in the Salt Lake temple. They moved to Salt Lake City then, where Harvard worked as a Court Clerk. The following year, the Hintons moved to Lehi where Harvard opened his first law office. Harvard was active in politics in the Democratic Party, and elected as a State Senator for one term. He also served as County Chairman of te Democratic Party, Deputy Secretary of State of Utah, and Deputy Lieutenant Governor, and Deputy Treasurer of the State of Utah in charge of unclaimed property. Harvard and his wife had eight children. The Hintons currently reside in Lehi, Utah.
Rose Marie Brokaw Hinton (born 1928) was a wife and mother in Lehi, Utah, and a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Rose Marie Brokaw Hinton was born on August 24, 1928, in Provo, Utah, to Austin Emil and Sarah LaPrele Sorenson Brokaw in the home of her grandmother Sorenson's home. Rose was raised in Provo, Lehi, and Roosevelt. She attended BYU where she met Harvard Roy Hinton. They were married November 22, 1950, in Salt Lake City, Utah, and were sealed by President Harold B. Lee. They had eight children. She was active in Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in community affairs. They raised their family in Lehi and later served three missions. The first in Mauritius, then the Philippines and South Africa, and she later served a family history mission to Europe. The Hintons currently reside in Lehi, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 14
Rose M. Hinton family papers
Dates: circa 1928-2010
Harvard R. Hinton papers
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts