Coray family papers
Coray family papers
Collection includes holographs (some photocopies), typescripts, printed documents with holograph entries, printed materials. Collection includes correspondence, journals, autobiographical and biographical sketches, certificates and legal documents, financial records, notebooks, clippings and memorabilia relating to the lives of Howard Coray, a personal friend and secretary to Joseph Smith, Jr.; Coray's wife, Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; and the families of two of Coray's children, Howard K. Coray and Mary K. Coray Roberts. Much of the collection centers around Coray's granddaughter, Edna Coray Dyer, a twentieth-century Utah musician. Other papers in the collection relate to the lives of twenty-one other descendents of Howard Coray.
- Extent: 1 oversize box (1 linear ft.). -- 9 boxes (4.5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: MSS 1422
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Coray family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1422; Coray family papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1422, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Some materials are gifts of Jennie N. Weeks, 1978, 1980.
- Acquisition Information
- Parts donated; Jennie N. Weeks; 1978, 1980.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1422.xml
- Related Material
- Photographs transferred to Photoarchives (MSS P 119).
- Subject Terms
- Coray family--Archives; Coray, Howard, 1817-1908; Coray, Howard, 1842-1928; Coray, Martha, 1821 or 2-1881; Dyer, Edna Helen Coray, 1875-1960; Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844; Home and Family; Nauvoo (Ill.)--History--Sources; Provo (Utah)--History--Sources; San Luis Valley (Colo. and N.M.)--History--Sources; Social Life and Customs
- Genre / Form
- Autobiographies; Biography--19th century; Biography--20th century; Certificates; Letters
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Coray family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:27-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Coray family were Latter-day Saint Church converts in the 1840's.
comments powered by Disqus