Castle Hadlock Murphy papers
Castle Hadlock Murphy papers
Collection includes holographs, typescripts, bound volumes, printed materials (some photocopies), and microfilm. Includes correspondence, a journal (1909-1910), an oral history interview (1973), and personal writings with associated research materials relating to Murphy's activity in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, particularly events in Hawaii where Murphy served as a missionary and president of the Hawaiian Mission and Temple.
- Extent: 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize box (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Murphy, Castle Hadlock, b. 1886
- Call Number: MSS 1476
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Castle Hadlock Murphy papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1476; Castle Hadlock Murphy papers; 20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1476, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Found in the stacks; February 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Found; University Archivist; February 2009.
- Separated Material
- Photographs in the Castle H. Murphy Papers were transferred to the Photo Archives. They include the following: Hawaiian saints at Laie celebrating birthday of King Kamehameha; Charles F. Middleton; Castle H. Murphy; Harry and Hazel; Hawaiian Mission Missionaries, April 1910; Lewis W. Shirtliff (photocopy); and Heber J. Grant and other LDS dignitaries in Hawaii (photocopy). The original newspaper clippings were discarded after being photocopied on acid free paper.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1476.xml
- Related Material
- See also the Castle Hadlock Murphy photographs of the Hawaiian Mission (MSS P 150).
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Hawaii--History; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Hawaii--History; Hawaii Temple (Laie, Hawaii)--History; Woolley, Ralph E. (Ralph Edwin), b. 1886; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Hawaii--Biography; Ogden (Utah)--History
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Electronic books; Letters; Oral histories
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kayla Quinney; February 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Murphy (Castle Hadlock) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kayla Quinney
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-20T09:10-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Castle Hadlock Murphy (1886-1985) was a Latter-day Saint Church leader and resident of Ogden, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus