Carter E. Grant papers
Carter E. Grant papers
This collection contains a variety of materials both generated by Carter E. Grant and collected by him. The correspondence files contain letters to and from Church leaders and aquaintances concerning seminary activities, Mormon and western history, and Grant's book The Kingdom of God Restored. Other items written by Grant include materials researched for in The Kingdom of God Restored , "Jim Bridger Stories", hymns, songs and poems, and other writings dealing with Mormon and Western history and Mormon doctrine. materials collected by Grant (written by others) include numerous news clippings (found in the collection as photocopies) and writings dealing with Mormon and Western history and doctrine, and various men and women both in and out of the Mormon Church. Also in the collection are memorabilia including Grant's diploma, a graduation program from the University of Utah, and items dealing with seminary and church activities and the Sons of Utah Pioneers.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Grant, Carter E. (Carter Eldredge), 1885-1972
- Call Number: MSS 1481
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Carter E. Grant papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 1481; Carter E. Grant papers; 20th & 21st Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 1481, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated to the Harold B. Lee Library in 1981 by Richard L. Anderson.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; 1981 by Richard L. Anderson.
- Other Finding Aids
- A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
- Subject Terms
- Authors, American--Utah--Correspondence; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion; Mormon authors--Correspondence; Teachers--Utah--Correspondence
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Notes; Souvenirs (Keepsakes)
- Processing Information
- Processed; David J. Wittaker, 1998;
- Appraisal Information
- 20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon history (20th & 21st Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts Collecting Policy 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Grant (Carter E.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by David J. Wittaker
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-03-19T15:08-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid encoded in English.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Carter E. Grant (December 13, 1885-September 28, 1972), graduated from the University of Utah with a Bachelor of Science degree in Western history in 1927. He then taught in the Jordan Utah Seminary, the Church if Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, for about thirty-five years, the last twenty-five of which he was the principal. Grant was active in the Sons of Utah Pioneers (he was the grandson of Jedediah M. Grant). He wrote numerous articles on Western and Mormon history,as well as a number of Sunday School manuals dealing with Church history.
After retiring from the Church Education program in 1955 he wrote several articles for the Church historic Sites Committee. Some of these were published in the Improvement Era. he was also an Editorial Associate of the Improvement Era during his retirement years. Perhaps Grants's most important work was his one volume history of the Church, The Kingdom of God Restored, (sometimes referred to in his papers as 'the LDS Church--its Doctrine and Achievements," the original manuscript title), published in 1955. His I Saw Another Angel Fly, (1959) was a book for children and youth. It follows about the same format and deals with the same subject matter as The Kingdom of God Restored.
comments powered by Disqus