John Bushman papers
John Bushman papers
Collection consists of original diaries covering 1871-1923, along with typescripts; a personal account book; receipts; temple recommend; microfilm copy of the diaries and an autobiography; photocopies of appraisal and accounts books for the chapter of the United Order in St. Joseph; minutes of United Order meetings; and typecript of correspondence. While most of the diary entries are one-liners narrating the author's daily activities in northern Arizona and occasional trips to Utah, others are quite detailed and provide good insights into life on the Mormon frontier.
- Extent: 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.) : handwritten.photocopies. microfilm. typewritten.
- Creator: Bushman, John, 1843-1926. -- Tanner, George S.
- Call Number: MSS 1520
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Some of the original diaries are restricted because of their physical condition. Complete typescripts are available in their place.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John Bushman papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1520; John Bushman papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1520, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1520.xml
- Subject Terms
- Bushman, John, 1843-1926; Frontier and pioneer life--Arizona--Sources; Indians of North America; Material Types; Mormon Church--Arizona--History--Sources; Mormon Church--Utah--History--Sources; Mormon missionaries--Arizona--History--Sources; Mormons--Arizona--History--Sources; Mormons--Arizona--Sources; Mormons--Colonization--Arizona--History--Sources; Mormons--Social life and customs--Sources; United orders (Mormon Church)--Arizona--Joseph City--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bushman (John) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-05-20T16:00-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon pioneer in Utah and Arizona, Bishop for the Mormon Church in Snowflake, Arizona.
comments powered by Disqus