Joseph F. Merrill papers
Joseph F. Merrill papers
Dates: circa 1887-1963
Collection contains diaries, correspondence, clippings, articles, photographs, and printed ephemera relating to Merrill's activities in education and religion. It includes correspondence with family members, friends, associates, and public figures. The collection also includes files from his work at universities, as well as a collection of talks and articles written by Merrill on religious topics. There is also correspondence with political leaders in the state and nation, and associated political pamphlets. Materials date from approximately 1887 to 1963.
- Extent: 1 oversize box (1 linear ft.). -- 63 boxes (31.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Merrill, Joseph F.
- Call Number: MSS 1540
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Joseph F. Merrill papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1540; Joseph F. Merrill papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Mansucripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1540, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Richard M. Mollinet in 1984.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Richard M. Mollinet; 1984.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1540.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Apostles; Merrill, Joseph F.--Archives; Colleges and Universities; Education; Education--Utah; Educators--Utah; Mormon Church--Apostles
- Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Diaries; Letters; Photographs; Printed ephemera; Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Swindler; May 9, 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Merrill (Joseph F.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Glenn and H. Christine Swindler, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-06-06T11:38-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Joseph F. Merrill (1868-1952) served as a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Joseph Francis Merrill was born on August 24, 1868 in Richmond, Cache, Utah. He married Annie Laura Hyde on June 9, 1898. He and Annie had seven children, Edith, Rowland, Joseph, Taylor Laura, Eugene, and Annie Hyde. Annie Laura Hyde, Merrill's wife, passed away on February 26, 1917. Merrill married Emily Lizette Traub on June 29, 1918. Merrill served as a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles until his death on February 3, 1952 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus