Wilford D. Lee papers
Wilford D. Lee papers
Dates: circa 1915-1981
Collection contains the papers of Wilford D. Lee, including unpublished manuscripts; drafts of short stories, essays, dramas; personal and family history papers; correspondence; educational papers; and other miscellaneous papers, dated circa 1915-1981. Much of his writings deal with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the West, as well as his own work in education.
- Extent: 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.). -- 8 cartons (8 linear ft.)
- Creator: Lee, Wilford D. (Wilford Deloy), 1898-1983
- Call Number: MSS 1553
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- There are 6 series: 1.Wilford D. Lee essays and other creative works, undated. 2.Wilford D. Lee essays and other creative works, circa 1980-1981. 3.Wilford D. Lee personal and family history, circa 1915-1937. 4.Wilford D. Lee correspondence, circa 1934-1980. 5. Wilford D. Lee educational papers, 1935-1972. 6.Wilford D. Lee notes, circa 1930-1979.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Wilford D. Lee papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1553; Wilford D. Lee papers; 20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1553, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Wilford D. Lee in various installments from 1981-1984.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Wilford D. Lee; 1981-1984.
- Other Finding Aids
- Folder-level inventory available in repository.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Lee, Wilford D. (Wilford Deloy), 1898-1983--Archives; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Religion; City and Town Life; Colleges and Universities; Education; Elementary and Secondary Education; Home and Family; Literature; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church; Social Life and Customs; Student Life; West (U.S.)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melissa Cowles, student processor and John Murphy, curator; 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS scholarship and historiography (20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Americana collection development policy, 2009, II.B.5.III).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lee (Wilford D.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Ray Palmer and David Oswald, library science students, under Dennis Rowley; Melissa Cowles, student processor, and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-12-02T15:55-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Wilford D. Lee (1898-1983) was an author and a professor of English in Utah. He taught at Brigham Young University.
Wilford Deloy Lee was born in Iona, Idaho, on May 8, 1898. He was the son of Thomas Wolkitt Lee and Louise Bowen. He married Lorine Hutchinson in the Salt Lake Temple on August 27, 1925.
Lee was educated in Idaho schools and received a teaching certificate from Idaho Teachers College in Pocatello, Idaho. He then earned a B.A. and M.A. in English from Brigham Young University (BYU). He did additional graduate work at the University of California at Berkeley.
His first educational assignment came in the late 1920's when he became a school principal in Oxford, Idaho. Following this, he taught high school for six years in Iona, Idaho. Later, Lee moved to Provo, Utah, where he taught for twenty-five years in the English Department of Brigham Young University. He also taught teacher training courses at BYU.
Following his retirement in 1957 Lee moved to Woodland, California, where he wrote several novels, family histories, and short stories. He returned to Provo in 1970 and lived there until his death on December 29, 1983.
Lee was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served full-time missions in Toronto and Winnipeg, Canada, Australia, and Alabama.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 1553
Wilford D. Lee unpublished manuscripts and short stories
Wilford D. Lee essays and other creative works
Dates: circa 1980-1981
Wilford D. Lee personal and family history
Dates: circa 1915-1937----undated
Wilford D. Lee correspondence
Dates: circa 1934-1980
Wilford D. Lee educational papers
Wilford D. Lee notes
Dates: circa 1930-1979
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts