John Orval Ellsworth papers
John Orval Ellsworth papers
Collection contains the journals, correspondence, and ephemera of John Orval Ellsworth. There are 89 journals dating from 1911 to 1974. The collection deals with his work with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, agriculture in the Western United States, university life, and the Ellsworth family. The collection also contains church records, genealogical records, and Ellsworth family materials. The collection dates from 1911 to 1974.
- Extent: 12 boxes (6 linear ft.). -- 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Ellsworth, John Orval, b. 1891
- Call Number: MSS 1558
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Journals are arranged in chronological order, while correspondence and ephemera is arranged by type of material.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John Orval Ellsworth papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1558; John Orval Ellsworth papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, BYU. Following citations: MSS 1558, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated from Annie M. Ellsworth in 1976 and 1982.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Annie M. Ellsworth; 1976 and 1982.
- Subject Terms
- Ellsworth (Family : Ellsworth, John Orval, 1891-1974); Ellsworth, John Orval, b. 1891--Archives; Agriculture--Utah; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion; Church work--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Genre / Form
- Archives; Diaries
- Processing Information
- Processed; Mary Downs, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- This collection provides insight into the life of LDS Church members in 20th Century America. Collected in Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Ellsworth (John Orval) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Mary Downs
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-27T14:59-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
John Orval Ellsworth (1891-1974) was a Mormon college professor.
John Orval Ellsworth was born on November 15, 1891 to Asa Charles Ellsworth and Emily Eliza Thuerer. He grew up on a farm in Idaho and graduated from Ricks Academy in 1912. He married Annie Esmerilda Merrill on October 21, 1914 in Logan, Utah, while obtaining his Bachelors degree in Agronomy from Utah State College. He then went on to get a Masters degree and Ph.D. from Cornell (1924 and 1926, respectively). He taught as an instructor or professor at Cornell University, Oklahoma A & M College, Texas Technological College, and Denver University. He was ordained a member of the Seventy in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1920. He also served as mission president of the Central States Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He died September 11, 1974.
comments powered by Disqus