Oz Flake family papers
Oz Flake family papers
Holograph diaries of Osmer Flake including an autobiography of his life from 1868 to 1893. The diaries cover 1893-1898, 1899-1913, 1935-1954. Also included is a diary of Osmer's first wife, Elsie Owens Flake 1897-1900 and a diary of his second wife, Ethel Ray Flake 1925-1926. Also in the collection is Osmer's biography of his father William Jordon Flake and an autograph book compiled at the Beaver Stake Academy, 1887-1888. His first wife Elsie kept a diary when he was serving on the latter mission. The diaries include copies of Flake correspondence and personal papers such as Osmer's patriarchal blessing. Most of the entries deal with personal matters relating to the Flake family and its activities. Many entries are detailed and lengthy. Dated 1887-1958.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.05 linear ft.). -- 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Flake family. -- Flake, Oz, 1868-1958
- Call Number: MSS 1564
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Oz Flake family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1564; Oz Flake family papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1564, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Chad Flake in 1986 and 1994.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Chad Flake; 1986 and 1994.
- Subject Terms
- Flake family--History; Flake, Elsie Owens, 1867-1908--Diaries; Flake, Ethel Estelle Ray, 1892-1977--Diaries; Flake, Oz, 1868-1958--Diaries; Flake, William Jordan, 1839-1932; Material Types; Mormon missionaries--Southern States; Mormon pioneers--Arizona--Snowflake--History; Mormons--Arizona--Biography; Politicians--Arizona--Diaries; Snowflake (Ariz.)--History
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Electronic books
- Processing Information
- Processed; Peter Hoyt; 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Flake (Oz) family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Peter Hoyt, Garrett Schroath, Karen Glenn and H. Christine Swindler, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-12-22T04:04-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Flake family resided in Southern Utah and Arizona.
Members of the family include Oz Flake (1868-1958) who served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Oz Flake (1868-1958) served missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Osmer Dennis "Oz" Flake was born on March 6, 1868 in Beaver County, Utah. He married Elise Abigail Owens on March 11, 1891 in Snowflake, Arizona. Elise wrote to him while he served his mission to the Southern States. His mission journal, covering 1897-1898, is available at L. Tom Perry Special Collections. His wife, Elsie, passed away in 1908, leaving him with five children: Grace, Lucretia (Louie), George Melvin, Ada and eleven month year old Elsie (their second child, Lewis Harvey, had passed away shortly after his first birthday in 1902). Flake married Ethel Estelle Ray on October 4, 1911. The details on their children can be found in the journals. He served a mission to Texas from January to April of 1913. He farmed and ranched and worked various jobs in Arizona to support his family. He passed away on February 2, 1958.
comments powered by Disqus