Scott Faulring research collection on Jerald and Sandra Tanner
Scott Faulring research collection on Jerald and Sandra Tanner
The bulk of this collection grew out of Faulring's Senior Seminar project. In addition to the extensive oral history interviews, Scott Faulring compiled a comprehensive bibliography of the Tanners' works; collected other known interviews with the Tanners, including those conducted by James D'Arc and Roger Flick; and also helped organize a photographic record of the Tanners and their place of business. Besides the final draft, this collection contains the actual tapes of the interviews with Sandra Tanner and the amended rough drafts of the typescripts, some of which show the penciled corrections made by Jerald Tanner. Anti-Mormon writers such as Eber D. Howe and John C. Bennett initiated anti-Mormon work since the 1830's, but researchers lack information on these individuals. Fortunately, this collection prevents the same trend from continuing where the Tanners are concerned. Thus, this is an invaluable collection which provides insight into the life and philosophy of two current successors to these early figures. This collection has been organized into two main sections. The first section (boxes 1-3) contains the various written drafts of the Faulring project (the cassette taped recordings of the interviews are in box 6). The second section (boxes 4 and 5) contains photocopies of the legal papers and depositions relating to the United States District Court Case of Andrew F. Ehat vs. Jerald Tanner, et al. (1983-84), which were also donated by Mr. Faulring. The case centered on Mr. Ehat's claim that a publication by the Tanners of his research notes, etc. relating to the William Clayton diaries had robbed him of his rightful income.
- Extent: 6 boxes (3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Faulring, Scott H.
- Call Number: MSS 1580
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research. All requests for photocopying must be approved by the curator of 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts. The whole duplication of large documents, reprinting, digitizing, or otherwise publishing is prohibited without written permission from the Board of Curators of BYU Special Collections and Manuscripts.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in six series: 1. Scott Faulring final drafts of interview, 1981-1983 (chronological); 2. Scott Faulring interview drafts, 1952-1982; 3. Scott Faulring final draft of History 490 paper, 1959-1982; 4. Scott Faulring research on the Tanners, 1959-1985; 5. Scott Faulring research on U.S. District Court Case: Ehat vs. Tanner, 1983-1984; 6. Scott Faulring cassette tapes of Tanner-Faulring interviews, 1981-1983 (chronological).
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.Permission to publish material from the Scott Faulring research collection on Jerald and Sandra Tanner must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- In 1980, Scott Faulring, a senior majoring in history at Brigham Young University, approached David J. Whittaker, a history professor, about the possibility of doing an extended oral history project for his History 490 class (the Senior Seminar). The idea was to do a series of interviews in an effort to understand the life and thoughts of the Tanners. Preliminary approval was given for the project, and two years later the final product was accepted.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 1580; Scott Faulring research collection on Jerald and Sandra Tanner; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 1580, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- On May 6, 1983, both Scott Faulring and Sandra Tanner agreed to have this collection filed in Brigham Young University's Department of Special Collections and Manuscripts so that it could be made available for scholarly research.
- Acquisition Information
- Acquired; May 6, 1983.
- Other sources of information on the Tanners include (copies of these can also be found in box 4 folder 1 of this collection):Barber, Ian. What Mormonism Isn't. Aukland, New Zealand: Pioneer Books, 1981.Foster, Lawrence. Career Apostates: The Life and Work of Jerald and Sandra Tanner, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 17 (Summer 1984): 35-60. Jerald and Sandra Tanner's Distorted View of Mormonism: A Response to "Mormonism-- Shadow or Reality?" By a Latter-day Saint Historian, Salt Lake City: n.p., 1977.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1580.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Controversial literature; D'Arc, James V.--Interviews; Flick, Roger C.--Interviews; Tanner, Jerald, 1938-2006--Interviews; Tanner, Sandra, 1941---Interviews; Religion; Mormon Church--Controversial literature
- Genre / Form
- Oral histories
- Processing Information
- Processed; David J. Whittaker; 1998.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Faulring (Scott) research collection on Tanner (Jerald and Sandra)
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by David J. Whittaker and Craig Foster, Jennifer Nelson and Paul C. Russell, Clinton Christensen
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-11T13:50-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid encoded in English.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Since at least 1959, Jerald and Sandra Tanner have been involved in anti-Mormon activities, first with the Modern Microfilm Company then later with the Utah Lighthouse Ministry. Then in 1980, Scott Faulring, a senior majoring in history at Brigham Young University, asked to do his extended oral history project for his History 490 on the Tanners.
Since at least 1959, Jerald and Sandra Tanner have dedicated their lives to anti-Mormon activities. Professing their own deep Christianity, they have consistently written and lectured against the history and doctrines of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Based in Salt Lake City, the Tanners have maintained an extensive publishing program, first as the Modern Microfilm Company (1959-1982) and since then as the Utah Lighthouse Ministry. Through photomechanical reprints, they have made available to their customers a large selection of out-of-print Mormon and anti-Mormon works. Additionally, they have authored a variety of works on specialized topics as well as a regular newsletter on subjects of contemporary interest.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 1580
Scott Faulring final drafts of interview
Scott Faulring interview drafts
Scott Faulring final draft of History 490 paper
Scott Faulring research on the Tanners
Scott Faulring research on U.S. District Court Case: Ehat vs. Tanner
Scott Faulring cassette tapes of Tanner-Faulring interviews
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts