Samuel Guthrie papers
Samuel Guthrie papers
Correspondence, patents, legal documents, genealogies, newspaper articles, obituaries, and historical accounts by or about Samuel Guthrie and other members of the Guthrie family. The correspondence between Samuel Guthrie and his daughter Harriet Guthrie Chamberlain concern personal and family matters and describe Samuel's patents on chloroform and the percussion cap. Items by Alfred Guthrie include information about the steamboat inspection and regulation in the United States and a detailed account of his brother Edwin's war experiences during the war with Mexico (1845-1848). Other materials also relate to the westward movement of the 1840's, the Anti-Mason party, and the presidential election of 1828 and inauguration of 1829.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Guthrie, Samuel, 1782-1848
- Call Number: MSS 1600
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Finding aid available in the repository.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1600; Samuel Guthrie papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1600, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1600.xml
- Subject Terms
- Chamberlain, Harriet Guthrie, 1810-1864; Guthrie family; Guthrie, Alfred, 1805-1882; Guthrie, Edwin, 1806-1847; Guthrie, Samuel, 1782-1848; Chloroform--History; Freemasonry--United States--History; Jackson County (Iowa)--History; Jefferson County (N.Y.)--History; Material Types; Mexican War, 1846-1848--History; Muzzle-loading firearms--United States--History; Presidents--United States--Inauguration--History; Scrapbooks; Ships--Inspection--United States--History; United States--History--1825-1829; West (U.S.)--Description and travel
- Genre / Form
- Biography; Genealogies; Letters; Notebooks
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Guthrie (Samuel) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-30T10:00-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
American chemist and inventor of chloroform and the percussion cap.
comments powered by Disqus