Philip J. Hart papers
Philip J. Hart papers
This collection relates to Hart's teaching career in Utah (especially at Utah State University), to his work at Lockheed Missiles and Space company, and to his personal life. Includes Hart's correspondence, teaching notes, professional writings and drafts of writings, an autobiography, and personal scrapbooks and journals. Materials dated 1932-2004.
- Extent: 19 boxes (9.5 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize box (1.66 linear ft.). -- 5 folders (0.05 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hart, Philip James
- Call Number: MSS 1626
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Access restricted to portions of collection. Consult reference staff.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Phillip J. Hart papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1626; Philip J. Hart papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1626, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Phillip J. Hart; 2011.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1626.xml
- Subject Terms
- Physicists--United States--History; Diaries; Educators--Utah--History; Material Types; Scrapbooks; Utah State University--Faculty--History; Hart, Philip James
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Autobiographies
- Processing Information
- Processed; Jennifer Kim, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hart (Philip J.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-10-21 12:17:33 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Philip J. Hart (1912-2005) was a professor of physics at Utah State University and later an employee for Lockheed Missiles and Space company.
Philip James Hart was born on September 7, 1912, in Bloomington, Idaho to Alfred Augustus and Sarah Cecilia Patterson Hart. He graduated from Utah State University in 1935 with a B.S. in physics and from Iowa State University in 1939 with a Ph. D. in physics. After teaching for a year at Carbon College in Price, Utah, Hart married Olive Ellen Winterton on June 18, 1941. He and his wife eventually had seven children. In 1942, Hart accepted a position at Utah State University, where he taught for 14 years. Then in 1956, he moved to Palo Alto, California where he worked for Lockheed Missiles and Space company. Hart retired in 1977 and moved to Provo, Utah in 1978, where he and his wife worked in the LDS Provo Temple. In 2000, three years after his wife's death, Hart moved to Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Hart passed away on August 14, 2005.
comments powered by Disqus