Ray C. Hillam papers
Ray C. Hillam papers
Collection includes materials created in Hillam's work as a faculty member at Brigham Young University (BYU) between 1955 and 2008, with the bulk of the material from 1960 to 1993. The collection includes class schedules; lists and syllabi; notes for various classes, lectures, research classes, or on articles and books; correspondence and memos; items collected during or about conferences, trips, sabbaticals, and study abroad trips, including photographs and scrapbooks. Also includes information on the founding of the Kennedy Center for International Studies collected while Hilliam was director, and documentation regarding BYU's "spy scandal".
- Extent: 14 cartons (14 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hillam, Ray C.
- Call Number: MSS 1643
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are mostly in
Englishwith some materials in Chinese.
- Arranged into eight series: 1. Faculty papers, date of production not identified. 2. Class papers, 1958-1993. 3. Lecture papers, 1970-1990. 4. Research papers, 1945-2005. 5. Correspondence, 1965-2000. 6. Conference, sabbatical, and study abroad papers, 1961-2002. 7. Photographs and scrapbooks, 1966-1996. 8. BYU spy scandal papers, 1965-1985.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Ray C. Hillam papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1643; Ray C. Hillam papers; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1643, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Ray C. Hillam in September 2008.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ray C. Hillam; September 2008.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1643.xml
- Subject Terms
- International Relations; Politics, Government, and Law; Constitutional law--Religious aspects; War--Moral and ethical aspects; War--Psychological aspects; Academic freedom--Utah--Provo--History; Hillam, Ray C.; Brigham Young University; Brigham Young University--Faculty; David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Cynthia Ann Smith; December 2008. Processed; Erin Owens; June 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Faculty papers (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hillam (Ray C.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Cynthia Ann Smith
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-12-16 11:48:08 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Ray C. Hillam (1928-2009) was an American intelligence analyst and political science professor.
Ray Cole Hillam was born in July 25, 1928 in Carlin, Nevada to James and Mabel (formerly Cole) Hillam. He served a mission to Sweden from November 1948 to July 1951. He earned a Bachelor's degree in Political Science at the University of Utah in 1954. In 1956 he was married to Carolyn Sanders. Ray received an MA degree from George Washington University and a PhD in Political Science from American University. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, spending his time in Tokyo, Japan as an intelligence analyst.
In 1960 Ray joined the political science faculty at Brigham Young University where he taught for 33 years. He assisted in the establishment of the International Relations program and the David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies. He served as chairman of the Political Science Department. He was the recipient of three Fulbright Scholar Awards to Vietnam, Taiwan and Beijing, China. He died on August 10, 2009.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 1643
Ray C. Hillam faculty papers
Dates: approximately 1955-2008
Ray C. Hillam class papers
Ray C. Hillam lecture papers
Ray C. Hillam research papers
Ray C. Hillam correspondence
Ray C. Hillam conference, sabbatical, and study abroad papers
Ray C. Hillam photographs and scrapbooks
Ray C. Hillam papers on Brigham Young University spy scandal
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives