Joseph Y. Haight diaries
Joseph Y. Haight diaries
Four volumes of handwritten diaries covering the time from 20 February 1899 to 30 July 1902. The final volume contains twenty-four pages of prayers in the Tahitian language. Haight writes about his daily activities, the missionary effort in the Society Islands, and the internal functioning of the mission.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.25 linear ft.)
- Creator: Haight, Joseph Y. (Joseph Young), 1865-1946
- Call Number: MSS 1687
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Joseph Y. Haight diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1687; Joseph Y. Haight diaries; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1687, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1687.xml
- Related Material
- See also the Eli Holton letters (MSS 2277) and the Joseph Y. Haight mission papers (MSS 6940).
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--French Polynesia--Tahiti (Island)--History; Haight, Joseph Y. (Joseph Young), 1865-1946--Diaries; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--French Polynesia--Tahiti (Island)--Diaries; Tahiti (French Polynesia : Island)--History; Tahitian language--Texts
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Haight (Joseph Y.) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-10-07T15:18-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Joseph Y. Haight (1865-1946) was a teacher and civil servant in Utah and Idaho. He served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Tahiti.
comments powered by Disqus