James G. Duffin diaries
The new site is available at http://archives.lib.byu.edu
James G. Duffin diaries
Handwritten and bound diaries. Also included are bound photocopies of the handwritten journals. The items are for the years 1887 through 1889 when Duffin served as a missionary for the Mormon Church in the Southern States Mission. The diaries also cover the years 1901 through 1906 when Duffin was president of the Southwestern States Mission (1900-1904) and of the Central States Mission (1904-1906) also for the Mormon Church. Duffin includes handwritten copies of letters both sent and received by him. He writes about the activities of the missions and mentions visits by Mormon Church leaders. He tells about a visit by John W. Taylor (13 Jan. 1905 entry), an apostle, who prophesied about the teachings of the first president of the Mormon Church, Joseph Smith (1805-1844), "Every principle through Joseph Smith will yet be demonstrated by science and will be in the text books."
- Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Duffin, James G. (James Glendhill), 1860-1921
- Call Number: MSS 1696
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1696; Diaries; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1696, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Elaine Milson; 1977.
- Subject Terms
- Duffin, James G. (James Glendhill), 1860-1921--Diaries; Smith, Joseph, 1805-1844--Teachings; Taylor, John Whittaker, 1858-1916; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Missions--Central States; Mormon Church--Missions--Southern States--History--Sources; Mormon Church--Missions--Southwest, New; Mormon missionaries--Middle West--History--Sources; Mormon missionaries--Southern States; Mormons--Middle West--History--Sources; Mormons--Southern States--History--Sources; Mormons--Southwestern States--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Electronic books; Letters
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Duffin (James G.) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-01-31T10:15-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Duffin (1860-1921) was a Utah State Legislator and local Mormon Church leader in Toquerville, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus