Ross T. Christensen papers
Ross T. Christensen papers
Papers reflect his service as a Mormon missionary in Brazil, 1939-1942; service in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II, 1943-1945; career as a professor of archaeology at Brigham Young University, 1952-1978; activities as a founding member of the Society for Early Historic Archaeology (SEHA); interest in Book of Mormon archaeology; participation in Leadership Week and Education Week on the BYU campus and elsewhere; and family activities. Includes diaries; correspondence; research papers and field notes; speeches; periodical articles; papers relating to symposia on the archaeology of the scriptures; draft writings about the Phoenicians; school papers; course materials for classes he taught on archaeology and anthropology; photo scrapbooks; family history records; and a small number of artifacts, mostly relating to archaeology. Countries reflected to a significant degree in the collection include Peru, Ecuador, Mexico, Brazil, and Egypt. Photographs include views of family homes in Manti, Ephraim, and Logan, Utah; Preston and Rexburg, Idaho; and Mt. Airy, North Carolina. Also included are views of archaeological sites, artifacts, and scenery; family members; and friends. Collection also includes slides, an audio recording of Lisa Christensen (age four), cameras, and other photographic equipment.
- Extent: 58 boxes (31 linear ft.)
- Creator: Christensen, Ross T. (Ross Taylor), 1918
- Call Number: MSS 1716
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Photographs and camera equipment (boxes 49-58) are not fully processed; see curator of photographs for access. The remainder of the collection (boxes 1-48) is open for public research. Series 37-44 Privacy restricted until 2018; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1716; Ross T. Christensen papers; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1716, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- From collection register, p. 3: "Dr. Christensen's papers came to the B.Y.U. Library in three installments. The first installment came from storage building [in 1990]." "A second installment of papers came from the SEHA archives on campus." "The third installment came from the Christensen home." Author's widow, Ruth Christensen, made additional donations after collection was processed. Additions will be placed at end of collection, but not fully inventoried until it appears that no more additions are forthcoming.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1716.xml
- Subject Terms
- Education Week; Leadership Week; Anthropology; Archaeology; Artifacts; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Brazil; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; College teachers--Utah--Provo; Colleges and Universities; Correspondence; Ecuador--Antiquities; Egypt--Antiquities; Ephraim (Utah); Images; Logan (Utah); Manti (Utah); Material Types; Mexico--Antiquities; Military; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Missions--Brazil; Mormon missionaries; Peru--Antiquities; Phoenicians; Politics, Government, and Law; Preston (Idaho); Rexburg (Idaho); Soldiers--United States; World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American
- Genre / Form
- Audiotapes; Cameras; Diaries; Genealogies; Lecture notes; Letters; Notes; Photographic equipment; Photographs; Slides (Photography); Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- Appraisal Information
- University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Christensen (Ross T.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-23T09:57-0600
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus