John Ball papers
John Ball papers
Handwritten correspondence, diaries, ledgers, newspaper and magazine articles, accounts of travels, legal documents, and miscellaneous items. The correspondence deals largely with Ball's explorations and with family matters. The materials document Ball's explorations in the American Northwest with Nathaniel Jarvis Wyeth in 1832, his visit to Hawaii in 1833, and his explorations in Michigan. The collection also relates to Ball's activities as a lawyer and as a politician in Michigan. Ball wrote an autobiography 1874 which was published in 1925.
- Extent: 6 boxes (3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Ball, John, 1794-1884
- Call Number: MSS 1741
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1741; Papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1741, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Ball, John, 1794-1884; Wyeth, Nathaniel J. (Nathaniel Jarvis), 1802-1856; Explorers--United States--History--Sources; Hawaii--History--To 1893--Sources; Immigration and American Expansion; Lawyers--Michigan--History--Sources; Michigan--History--1837---Sources; Northwest, Pacific--History--Sources; Overland journeys to the Pacific--History--Sources; Overland Journeys to the Western United States; Politicians--Michigan--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Autobiographies; Diaries; Letters; Newspapers
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Ball (John) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-02-06T12:48-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
American author, explorer, lawyer, and politician.
comments powered by Disqus