John Van Cott papers
John Van Cott papers
Correspondence, diaries, and a family history. The correspondence is between Van Cott and family members. Also included are handwritten and signed letters from Brigham Young, second president of the Mormon Church, to Van Cott. The diaries cover the time when Van Cott served as a missionary for the Mormon Church from 1852 to 1856 and from 1859 to 1862. He was in Iowa City, Iowa, when the first handcart companies left for Utah.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Van Cott, John, 1814-1883. -- Van Cott, Annie A. (Annie Anderson), 1882-1970. -- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Call Number: MSS 1743
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John Van Cott papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1743; John Van Cott papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1743, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Missions--Scandinavia; Mormon Church--Presidents; Mormon pioneers--History; Mormons--Correspondence; Polygamy--Utah--History; Polygamy--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History; Salt Lake City (Utah)--History; Scandinavia--History--Sources; Van Cott, John, 1814-1883; Van Cott, Annie A. (Annie Anderson), 1882-1970; Young, Brigham, 1801-1877; Van Cott, John, 1814-1883--Diaries
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Diaries; Histories
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Van Cott (John) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-11-10 13:09:37 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
John Van Cott (1814-1883) was a Mormon pioneer, mission president for the Mormon Church in Scandinavia, and polygamist. He lived in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus