Joseph Leland Heywood diaries
Joseph Leland Heywood diaries
Handwritten diaries for the years 1856 and 1857. In volume 1, Heywood traveled to California on government business. He left Salt Lake City for Washington, D.C. on 22 April 1866 and gives a short description of the overland journey to Atchison, Kansas. The remainder of the volume discusses political troubles in Washington, D.C. In volume 2, after resolving his affairs in Washington, D.C. and visiting family in Massachusetts, Heywood returned to Utah via St. Louis and Independence, Missouri. The diary describes his encounters with parties of Cheyenne and Shoshone Indians. Heywood also noted the murder of Almon W. Babbitt by Cheyenne Indians in 1856. The diary mentions meeting many other travelers on the overland route. The item ends near Devil's Gate in western Wyoming.
- Extent: 2 v. (159 p.)(0.15 linear ft.): (+ 2 typescripts)(volumes 1 and 2)
- Creator: Heywood, Joseph Leland, 1815-1910
- Call Number: MSS 179
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 179; Diaries; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 179, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Douglas, Stephen A. (Stephen Arnold), 1813-1861; Heywood, Joseph Leland, 1815-1910--Diaries; Smith, Joseph, 1805-1844; Young, Brigham, 1801-1877; California--History--19th century; Fillmore (Utah); Immigration and American Expansion; Mormons--Utah--Salt Lake City; Overland journeys to the Pacific; Overland Journeys to the Western United States; Peace officers--Utah--Diaries; Salt Lake City (Utah)
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Heywood (Joseph Leland) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-02-21T14:08-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon pioneer who served as trustee for the property of the Mormon Church at Nauvoo, Illinois; postmaster for Salt Lake City; and U.S. Marshall for Utah. Heywood also helped to colonize southern Utah and the towns of Nephi and Panguitch.
comments powered by Disqus