Utah Sorosis records
Utah Sorosis records
Contains histories, programs, and calendars of the Utah Sorosis Club. There are scrapbooks with photographs from the Sorosis Literary Club, minutes from meetings, letters of application from potential members, and other clippings. Also includes calendars of events for the club's yearly events. Finally, there is a book that tracks the finances of the club for about 35 years. All materials relate to the administration and activities of the Utah Sorosis Club.
- Extent: 2 oversize folders (0.2 linear ft.). -- 1 carton (1 linear ft.). -- 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Utah Sorosis (Club)
- Call Number: MSS 1801
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Files left in their original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Utah Sorosis records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1801; Utah Sorosis records; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1801, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Utah Sorosis Club in 2011.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Utah Sorosis Club; 2011.
- Subject Terms
- Clubs and Societies; Mormon women--Utah--Provo--History--Sources; Social Life and Customs; Women--Societies and clubs--History--Sources; Women--Utah--Provo--History--Sources; Women--Utah--Provo--Societies and clubs--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Account books; Corporate minutes; Newspapers; Programs
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007). Utah Sorosis is the state division of the Sorosis Club, a woman's club started in 1897.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Utah Sorosis records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Megan Furcini
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-05-03T09:57-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Utah Sorosis (est. 1897) is a women's club in Provo, Utah.
The Utah Sorosis Club was organized by Mrs. A.B. Kinney on March 6, 1897 in a parlor of the Roberts Hotel. She organized the club in order to serve the women of Provo. It was first called "The Progressive Club," but was changed a week later to "Utah Sorosis" meaning "sisterhood." The club colors are cream and heliotrope. The club joined the ranks of the National Federation of Women's Clubs, and the second literary club in Provo. It is the oldest Federated club in Utah. Since its establishment, many of the members have served on state committees and directed many District Federation activities. They have been concerned with problems in Utah, American Indian tribes locally, and in national government.
comments powered by Disqus