Elias Smith diaries
Elias Smith diaries
Photocopies of handwritten diaries. Smith writes about coming to Kirtland, Ohio, in 1836 and his subseqent moves to Nauvoo, Illinois, and to Utah in 1851. He held numerous positions in the Mormon Church and was active as a businessman and as a politician.
- Extent: 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Smith, Elias, 1804-1888
- Call Number: MSS 1822
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1822; Diaries; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1822, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Smith, Elias, 1804-1888--Diaries; Immigration and American Expansion; Kirtland (Ohio)--History--Sources; Mormon pioneers--Utah--History--Sources; Mormons--Illinois--Nauvoo--History--Sources; Mormons--Ohio--Kirtland--History--Sources; Mormons--Utah--Salt Lake City--History--Sources; Overland Journeys to the Western United States; Salt Lake City (Utah)--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Smith (Elias) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-02-27T12:19-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon Church leader and Utah businessman, editor, and politician.
comments powered by Disqus