John Claiborne Harper papers
John Claiborne Harper papers
Handwritten diary, letters, certificates, paroles, and Mormon Church blessings. The diary was kept while Harper served on a mission to the Southern States for the Mormon Church from 1887 to 1888. Also included is an autograph book signed by Mormons in the Utah State prison for polygamy in 1889. The certificates and letters relate to Mormons in Mexico, to Harper's civic appointments in Payson, and to family matters. Two paroles were given to Harper on 10 April 1865 at Appomattox Court House, Virginia when he was released as a prisoner of war by the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia.
- Extent: 2 v. (0.12 linear ft.)
- Creator: Harper, John Claiborne
- Call Number: MSS 185
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 185; Papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 185, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Harper, John Claiborne--Diaries; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Civic Activism; Military; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Missions--Southern States--History--Sources; Mormon missionaries--Southern States--History--Sources; Mormons--Mexico--History--Sources; Mormons--Utah--Payson--History--Sources; Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church)--History--Sources; Payson (Utah)--History--Sources; Politics, Government, and Law; Polygamy--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History--Sources; United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons
- Genre / Form
- Certificates; Diaries; Electronic books; Letters; Pardons
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Harper (John Claiborne) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-03-08T11:10-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon missionary and resident of Payson, Utah and Mexico.
comments powered by Disqus