Charles Ursenbach collection
Charles Ursenbach collection
Includes intermittent journals, 1921-1971, and daily journals, 1973-1985; photocopied news clippings, primarily about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Canada, 1956-1981; transcripts of oral histories that Ursenbach recorded with Chesley N. Pierson, Louis O. Brandley, and Asael E. Palmer; personal histories of Elizabeth Fern Wood Smith and Ole F. Pierson; Ursenbach's history of Richard C. Harvey and the development of Romnellet sheep; histories of Latter-day Saint wards in the Calgary area, 1956; and research files on Mormon polygamous families in Canada and writings of Octave F. Ursenback.
- Extent: 8 boxes (4 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brandley, Louis Orson, 1889-1984. -- Palmer, Asael E. (Asael Exile), 1888-1984. -- Pierson, Chesley N. (Chesley Nels), 1928. -- Smith, Elizabeth Fern Wood, b. 1896. -- Ursenbach, Charles, 1903-1985
- Call Number: MSS 1853
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Unprocessed collection. Closed to public access except by permission of Special Collections Reference Librarian.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Charles Ursenbach collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1853; Charles Ursenbach collection; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1853, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Collection received in installments over several years. Some items, including Charles Ursenbach's autobiography and some oral histories that he recorded with others, have been cataloged separately.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Charles Ursenbach and Maureen Ursenbach Beecher; 1981-1998.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1853.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Alberta; Harvey, R. C. (Richard Coope), 1865-1950; Pierson, Ole Franc, 1848-1922; Ursenbach, Octave F. (Octave Frederick), b. 1870; Calgary (Alta.); Religion; Material Types; Polygamy--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Romney Marsh sheep; Wards (Mormon Church)--Alberta
- Genre / Form
- Autobiographies; Diaries; Newspapers; Oral histories
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Ursenbach (Charles) collection
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-24T04:01-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Resident of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Local historian of Mormonism in Alberta.
comments powered by Disqus