Irene M. Bates papers
Irene M. Bates papers
Contains correspondence, newspaper clippings, certificates, speeches, essays, and periodicals. Much of the materials deal with Bates's historical studies and writings, including the production of the film Reflections. Also included is an autobiographical sketch by Edward Wootton, Bates's father. Materials date from between 1958 and 1981.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Bates, Irene M., 1921
- Call Number: MSS 1861
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1861; Irene M. Bates papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1861, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Mr. and Mrs. William Bates; 1983.
- Subject Terms
- Bates, Irene M., 1921---Archives; Wootton, Edward, 1889-; Correspondence; Mormon women--California; Mormons--England; Publications
- Genre / Form
- Essays; Interviews; Letters; Motion picture film; Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bates (Irene M.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-12-13T13:40-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Irene M. Bates (born 1921) is a Mormon woman writer.
Irene M. Bates was born in 1921 in Manchester, England to Edward and Lily Wootton. She married William Bates on June 14, 1941, and in 1955 they joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 1967 they emigrated to Salt Lake City, Utah, and later moved to California. Bates studied sociology and history at the University of California, Los Angeles, receiving her bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees from the school.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Box/folder in MSS 1861
box 1 folder 1
Irene M. Bates papers on graduation
box 1 folder 2
Irene M. Bates writings
box 1 folder 3
Irene M. Bates papers on Reflections
Dates: bulk 1979-1981----1958-1981
box 1 folder 4
Irene M. Bates papers on British Mission and Reflections
box 1 folder 5
Irene M. Bates envelopes
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts