Mormon Manuscript Retrieval Project collection
Mormon Manuscript Retrieval Project collection
Dates: bulk 1772-1958, 1772-1974
A. Gary Anderson and Milton V. Backman Jr., Max Parkin, David J. Whittaker, Lyndon Cook, Russell R. Rich and Clark V. Johnson, all faculty members of the Department of Church History and Doctrine at Brigham Young University, in cooperation with the historical Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also called the LDS Church), and the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University, did research on sites related to the history of the Church. A. Gary Anderson researched in New Hampshire (1973); Milton V. Backman Jr. in Ohio (1974); Max Parkin in Missouri (1978); David J. Whittaker in Iowa and Missouri (1979); Lyndon Cook in Missouri (1978); Russell R. Rich in Kentucky, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Ontario, Canada (1978); and Clark V. Johnson in Illinois (1980). Their goal was to collect, in microfilm or photocopy, photographs, manuscripts, maps, and documents related to Latter-day Saint history. Their efforts were concentrated in state, county, city, and town record repositories, archives and libraries, as well as historical society libraries, and college and university libraries. Thus this collection is really a number of smaller collections, a literal potpourri of research material.
- Extent: 17 boxes (8.5 linear feet)
- Creator: Anderson, A. Gary. -- Backman, Milton Vaughn
- Call Number: MSS 19
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research. No photocopying is allowed.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in six series: 1. A. Gary Anderson and Milton V. Backman Jr. donations on Mormon manuscripts, 1772-1936; 2. David J. Whittaker donations on Mormon manuscripts, 1839-1857 and undated; 3. Lyndon Cook donations on Mormon manuscripts, 1832-1914; 4. Russell R. Rich donations on Mormon manuscripts, 1781-1976, bulk 1781-1905; 5. Clark V. Johnson donations on Mormon manuscripts, 1815-1888; 6. Max H. Parkin donations on Mormon manuscripts, 1832-1976. The collection has been organized under the name of the researchers who brought the materials to BYU. Generally the collection has been arranged in chronological or alphabetical order within the series.
- Conditions of Use
- The researcher must obtain permission to publish any records from this collection from the institution which houses the original. Permission to publish material from the Mormon Manuscript Retrieval Project collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 19; Mormon Manuscript Retrieval Project collection; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 19, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Milton V. Backman, Jr. beginning in 1984.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Milton V. Backman, Jr.; beginning in 1984.
- Separated Material
- 16 reels of microfilm from the Missouri State Archives in Jefferson City, Missouri have been transferred to microforms. A description of these reels is as follows: 13 reels of the General Names Index Cards of the MS Collection. 2 reels of Mormon War Papers, 1838-1841. 1 reel, misc. Mormon War Papers, 1838-1842.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS19.xml
- Subject Terms
- Mack family--History; Mack, Solomon, 1732-1820; Smith family--History; Smith, Asael, 1744-1830; Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Mormon Church--History--19th century; Mormons--New Hampshire--History--Reference sources; Mormons--Ohio--History--Reference sources
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Local histories; Newspapers
- Processing Information
- Processed; David J. Whittaker, Jane Carpenter, and Paul C. Russell; 1989.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Mormon Manuscript Retrieval Project collection
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by David J. Whittaker, Jane Carpenter, and Paul C. Russell
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-13T14:48-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid encoded in English.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 19
A. Gary Anderson and Milton V. Backman Jr. donations on Mormon manuscripts
David J. Whittaker donations on Mormon manuscripts
Lyndon W. Cook donations on Mormon manuscripts
Russell R. Rich donations on Mormon manuscripts
Dates: 1781-1976----bulk 1781-1905----bulk 1781-1905
Clark V. Johnson donations on Mormon manuscripts
Max H. Parkin donations on Mormon manuscripts
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives