L. Weston Oaks papers
L. Weston Oaks papers
Correspondence, notes, booklets, newspaper clippings, newsletters, photographs, drawings and publications relating to Oaks's family, religious activities, and professional life as a medical doctor. Included are files relating to his work with St. Christopher's Mission to the Navajo at Bluff, Utah, and his part in the creation of a new public health program for the American Indians. Correspondents include United States congressmen from Utah, Senator Arthur V. Watkins and Representative Henry Aldous Dixon; "Improvement Era" editors; and various family members.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.). -- 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Dixon, Henry Aldous, 1890-1967. -- Oaks, L. Weston (Lewis Weston), 1892. -- St. Christopher's Mission to the Navajo (Bluff, Utah). -- Watkins, Arthur V. (Arthur Vivian), 1886-1973
- Call Number: MSS 1968
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1968; L. Weston Oaks papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1968, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Papers donated by Oaks family through Janet Francis and Carol Oaks. Received in Special Collections and Manuscripts in October 1979 and November 1992.
- Acquisition Information
- Janet Francis and Carol Oaks, Gift, 1979 and 1992.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1968.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Dixon, Henry Aldous, 1890-1967--Correspondence; Oaks, L. Weston (Lewis Weston), 1892---Archives; St. Christopher's Mission to the Navajo (Bluff, Utah); Watkins, Arthur V. (Arthur Vivian), 1886-1973--Correspondence; Bluff (Utah); Material Types; Mormons--Utah--History; Navajo Indians--History; Physicians--United States--History; Provo (Utah); Public health
- Genre / Form
- Drawings; Letters; Newsletters; Newspapers; Notes; Photographs; Postcards; Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- Improvement era
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Oaks (L. Weston) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennier Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-08-05T10:14-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Lewis Weston Oaks graduated from Brigham Young University in 1915, and received his M.D. degree in 1919 at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. He specialized in eye, ear, nose, and throat, from 1920 to 1969 in Provo, Utah. He was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
comments powered by Disqus