Clinton F. Larson papers
Clinton F. Larson papers
The Clinton F. Larson collection contains materials mostly related to Clinton's life as an author. Other notable inclusions are audio-visual materials, correspondence, biographical files, student theses, scrapbooks, photographs, and his personal library.
- Extent: 55 boxes (27.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Larson, Clinton F.
- Call Number: MSS 1984
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in 14 series: 1. Clinton F. Larson books periodicals, and reference materials, 1937-1999. 2. Clinton F. Larson audio-visual material, 1952-2008. 3. Clinton F. Larson plays and music, 1949-1985. 4. Clinton F. Larson Illustrated Stories from the Book of Mormon book with narrative editing, 1967-1985. 5. Clinton F. Larson collections of poems, 1946-1993. 6. Clinton F. Larson published books, proofs, and posters, 1947-1990. 7. Clinton F. Larson holographs. 8. Clinton F. Larson newspaper clippings, 1935-2001. 9. Clinton F. Larson correspondence, 1920-1994. 10. Clinton F. Larson biographical file, 1919-1994. 11. Clinton F. Larson scrapbook and photographs. 12. Clinton F. Larson student theses, 1959-1985. 13. The works of Clinton F. Larson, 1985. 14. Clinton F. Larson annotated library books, 1895-1988.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Clinton F. Larson papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 1984; Clinton F. Larson papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 1984, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Clinton F. Larson's daughter, Diane Larson Porter on February 29, 2008.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Diane Larson Porter; 2008.
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Literature; Mormons--Utah; Ogden (Utah)--History--20th century; Provo (Utah)--History--20th century; Utah--Biography; Utah--History--20th century; Women--Utah--Biography
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Photographs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Billy Plunkett, former University Photo Archivist and John Murphy, Curator of 20th Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 2006.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Larson (Clinton F.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Billy Plunkett and John Murphy
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-08-26T15:53-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Clinton F. Larson (1919-1994) was a respected and prolific Mormon writer. He is especially known for his poetry and plays. He was also an English professor at Brigham Young University for 38 years.
Clinton F. Larson, BYU English Professor and poet-in-residence for thirty-eight years, dedicated serious effort to the craft of poetry. Author of several volumes of poems, including The Lord of Experience, Counterpoint, The conversions of God, Centennial Portraits, Selected Poems of Clinton F. Larson, and Sunwind, he was also a prolific playwright. Most of his plays are poetic dramas and range from serious religious works ( The Mantle of the Prophet) to satirical comedies underscoring the foibles of modern times, to children's fantasies.
During the 1960s Larson wrote the narrative for The Illustrated Stories from the Book of Mormon, a sixteen-volume work. Other achievements include editing with William Stafford Modern Poetry of Western America and, with Andre Maurois, La Poesie Contemporaine aux Etats-Unis.
He was one of the founders of BYU Studies, the Rocky Mountain Writers' Convention, and the National Federation of State Poetry Societies. Clinton F. Larson was--in the words of his editor, colleague, and friend David L. Evans--"one of the most significant and highly-respected Mormon writers of our time and also one of the most prolific."
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 1984
Clinton F. Larson books, periodicals, and reference materials
Clinton F. Larson audiovisual material
Clinton F. Larson plays and music
Clinton F. Larson Illustrated Stories from the Book of Mormon
Clinton F. Larson collections of poems
Clinton F. Larson published books, proofs, and posters
Clinton F. Larson holographs
Clinton F. Larson newspaper clippings
Clinton F. Larson correspondence
Clinton F. Larson biographical file
Dates: circa 1919-1994
Clinton F. Larson scrapbook and photographs
Clinton F. Larson student theses
The works of Clinton F. Larson
Dates: 1985 July 23
Clinton F. Larson annotated library books
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts