Dell Ashworth architectural drawings collection
Dell Ashworth architectural drawings collection
Dates: approximately 1920-1993
Contains professional records (partial or complete) for the following 20th century Utah County architects and architectural firms: Ashworth (Claude) & Markham (Fred), architects; Claude Shepard Ashworth, architect; Dell Shepard Ashworth, architect; TAG Architects & Engineers (architectural firm); Ashworth Group (architectural firm); Ashworth Architects (architectural firm), and Markham & Markham, architects. The collection includes nearly every 20th century building type including schools, churches (predominately buildings for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), residents, apartment buildings, commercial and industrial buildings and civic buildings (city halls, recreation centers, jails, libraries, etc.). The building projects documented here were built in the following Utah communities: Provo, Springville, Orem, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Lehi, Nephi, Payson, Santaquin, Monticello, Richfield, Mapleton, Escalante, Salina, Midway, and Cannonville. The largest percentage of projects were built in Utah County, particularly in Provo (over one hundred projects) and Springville, Utah (just less than forty).
- Extent: 382 folders (18 linear ft.)
- Creator: Ashworth, Dell S. (Dell Shepherd), 1923-1995
- Call Number: MSS 2029
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: This collection has been preliminarily processed. Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection is organized into two series: 1. Dell Ashworth file materials, 1975-1993. and 2. Dell Ashworth architectural drawings, 1923-1994.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Dell Ashworth architectural drawings collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2029; Dell Ashworth architectural drawings collection; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations:MSS 2029, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Brent Ashworth, 1998 and 1999. Prior to the donation the entire collection was in the possession of Dell Shepard Ashworth.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Brent Ashworth; 1998 and 1999.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2029.xml
- Subject Terms
- Ashworth & Ashworth (Firm); Ashworth, Claude S. (Claude Shepherd), 1885-1971; Markham & Markham (Firm); Architects--Utah; Architecture; Architecture, Domestic--Designs and plans; Architecture--20th century; Architecture--Utah; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Church architecture; Public architecture
- Genre / Form
- Architectural drawings; Blueprints; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; 2004.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Ashworth (Dell) architectural drawings collection
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by P. Bradford Westwood, editor
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-18T11:42-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Dell Sheperd Ashworth was born in Salt Lake City in 1923 and married Bette Jean Brailsford in 1946. He attended Brigham Young University and recieved his BA in Architecure from the University of California in 1949, after which he was the founding member of many Utah architectural firms, namely, Ashworth Architects (Partner 1958-1971), TAG Architects and Engineers (Principal 1971-1975), Ashworth Group, Inc. (President 1971-1992), TAG Real Estate and Investments (Vice President 1972-1977), Dell S. Ashworth and Associates, Architects (Principal 1971-1992). Ashworth also served as Architectural advisor to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Chairman of the of the Provo City Planning Commission, and Director of the Utah County Planning commission.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 2029
Dell Ashworth file materials
Dell Ashworth architectural drawings
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts