Mark K. Allen papers
Mark K. Allen papers
Contains correspondence, personal and professional papers, printed materials, photographs, and newspaper clippings of Brigham Young University professor of psychology, Mark K. Allen, his mother, Inez Knight Allen, and his grandfather who was a Utah businessman and financier, Jesse Knight. Allen's papers include professional records dealing with the tenure and chairmanship of the Psychology Department at BYU (1946-1975). Papers also deal with Allen as a student and his faculty years at BYU, and his involvement with the Utah State Training School in American Fork, Utah. He was the first Assistant Superintendent and psychologist for that school (1932-1945). For thirty-six years, he served as clinical consultant. Allen was the second psychologist to be licensed in the state of Utah. Also includes 35mm slides; motion picture film; photographic prints and negatives dealing with friends, travel, and vacations; Allen's mission for the Mormon Church in New York City (1927-1928); and the Utah State Training School among other subjects.
- Extent: 14 cartons (14 linear ft.)
- Creator: Allen, Mark K. (Mark Knight), 1905
- Call Number: MSS 2031
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Box 2-9, 14: Open for public research. Box 1, 10-13: Privacy restricted; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Personal and professional papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2031; Mark K. Allen papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2031, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Phyllis Allen; 1997.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2031.xml
- Related Material
- See Mark K. Allen papers, UA 585, that spans the years of 1929-1976.
- Subject Terms
- Allen, Inez Knight, 1876-1937; Allen, Mark K. (Mark Knight), 1905---Archives; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--New York (State)--New York--History; Knight, Jesse, 1845-1921; Utah State Training School--History; Mental Health; Mormon Church--Missions--New York (State)--New York--History; Science, Technology, and Health
- Genre / Form
- Amateur films; Letters; Negatives; Newspapers; Photographic prints; Slides (Photography)
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Allen (Mark K.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-08-19T10:19-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Professor of psychology at Brigham Young University.
comments powered by Disqus