John F. C. Harrison papers
John F. C. Harrison papers
Collection consists primarily of British newspapers and news clipping scrapbooks assembled between 1827 and 1938. It also includes correspondence, articles, photographs, diaries, and other materials. The papers document the social history of 19th century Britain.
- Extent: 3 oversize boxes (2.83 linear ft.). -- 14 cartons (14 linear ft.). -- 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Harrison, John F. C., 1921
- Call Number: MSS 2048
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Condition restricted; permission to use material must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John F. C. Harrison papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2048; John F. C. Harrison papers; 19th Century British Victoriana print and manuscript collection development policy; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2048, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by John F. C. Harrison in 1994 at the time the library purchased his book collection.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; John F. C. Harrison; 1994.
- Subject Terms
- City and Town Life; Great Britain--History--19th century; Social Life and Customs
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Diaries; Letters; Newspapers; Photographs; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Clark; John Murphy, curator.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century British Victoriana print and manuscript collection development policy.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Harrison (John F. C.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Whitney Cole
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-03-03T10:59-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
John F. C. Harrison (b. 1921) is an English historian of British social history.
John Fletcher Clews Harrison was born February 28, 1921 in Leicester, England. He attended a local grammer school from 1932 to 1939, then entered Cambridge University in 1939, graduating with his B.A. in 1942 and M.A. in 1946. During those years, he took time out to serve in the Royal Leicester Regiment, achieving the rank of Captain before he was released from active service in 1945. He then proceeded to earn a Ph.D. in History from Leeds University, received in 1955. He has lectured and taught throughout the United States and Britain as well as in Australia and New Zealand and published books and articles in the area of British social history.
comments powered by Disqus