Michael Sadleir papers
Michael Sadleir papers
Collection includes letters from London written by Michael and Betsy Sadleir, research material for novels and Victorian literature, and photographs and papers of Fanny by Gaslight, the movie version of Sadleir's novel. The materials date from 1915 to 1970.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Sadleir, Michael, 1888-1957
- Call Number: MSS 2053
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Michael Sadleir papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2053; Michael Sadleir papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2053, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Bertram-Rota (English dealer) in 1989 and 1990.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Bertram-Rota; 1989-1990.
- Subject Terms
- Sadleir, Michael, 1888-1957--Correspondence; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; English fiction--19th century; Literature
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Photographs; Research (Document genres)
- Fanny by gaslight (Motion picture)
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Swindler; 6 June 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- (19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Sadleir (Michael) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Glenn and H. Christine Swindler, student porcessors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-04-06T13:49-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Michael Sadleir (1888-1957) was an English novelist, biographer, and prominent bibliographer of nineteenth-century fiction.
Michael Sadleir was born December 25, 1888 at Oxford, England. He was born Michael Sadler but changed his name to Sadleir when one of his novels was wrongly attributed to his father, who was also named Michael Sadler. He attended Rugby and Balliol College, Oxford and then joined Constable and Company, a publishing house. Michael Sadleir is best known for his work as a book collector and bibliographer. He focused on nineteenth-century fiction and was the authority on the work of Anthony Trollope. Though he wrote biographical and bibliographical works on select nineteenth-century authors, his most recognized work, XIX Century Fiction, is an account of his collecting days and a catalog of his personal collection. He sold this collection to the University of California, Los Angeles in 1951. Michael Sadleir died December 15, 1957.
comments powered by Disqus