Richard Smith Beal papers
Richard Smith Beal papers
Collection contains papers, articles, reports, polls, printouts, and news releases pertaining to the 1980 presidential election campaigns of Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter, as well as several other papers referring to political science issues. Materials date from circa 1980 to 1984.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Beal, Richard Smith
- Call Number: MSS 2117
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Richard S. Beal papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2117; Richard S. Beal papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2117, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Part of the collection was donated to the library by Ruth Sorenson Beal, wife of Richard Smith Beal, 27 August 1990. Part of the collection was donated to the library by Jason Sorenson Beal, son of Richard Smith Beal, 22 March 1999. The two parts were combined 13 March 2008.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ruth Beal; 27 August 1990. Donated; Jason Beal; 22 March 1999.
- Related Material
- Richard S. Beal files; Also located at; Reagan Presidential Library.
- Subject Terms
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924-; Reagan, Ronald; Political Campaigns; Politics, Government, and Law; Presidents--United States--Election--1980
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Reports
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Swindler; 13 March 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- 20th Century Western and Mormon Americana. The collection concerns the career of a former Brigham Young University professor.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Beal (Richard Smith) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by H. Christine Swindler
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-03-07T09:34-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Richard Smith Beal (1945-1984) was an American college professor and government advisor.
Richard Smith Beal was born November 27, 1945 in Washington, D.C., to George Max Beal and Virginia Smith. He was raised in the Washington, D.C. area and graduated from Northwestern High School in Hyattsville, Maryland, in 1963. From 1966 to 1968, he served a mission to Denmark for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Following his return, he married Ruth Sorenson on January 31, 1969.
He earned bachelor's and master's degrees in political science at Brigham Young University in 1970 and a doctorate in international relations at the University of Southern California in 1977. In 1977 he was a visiting Fulbright Hayes Scholar at Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi, India. From 1978 to 1982 he was an Associate Professor of International Relations and Political Science at Brigham Young University. He also served in the White House as Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs. He was the author of five books, many studies, and the recipient of numerous awards. He passed away on November 2, 1984.
comments powered by Disqus