J. LaVar Bateman papers
J. LaVar Bateman papers
Dates: approximately 1947-1999
Contains papers, in paper and plastic binders, documenting BYU forum assembly speakers, 1965-1977, including Bateman's commentaries on specific speakers, 1966-1973; speech and communications classes that he taught; the Speech Communication area of the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts, 1959-1985 (department and area names varied during this period); the University Speaker's Bureau, 1966-1975; and the BYU Emeritus Club, 1991-1992. Includes outlines, correspondence, news clippings, teaching resource materials, copies of minutes, a few photographs, vita information on LaVar Bateman, and other papers. Also includes a short history of the BYU Emeritus Club, written by Ed Butterworth.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Bateman, J. LaVar. -- Butterworth, Edwin, Jr, 1912-2010
- Call Number: MSS 2143
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the J. LaVar Bateman papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2143; J. LaVar Bateman papers; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 2143, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by J. LaVar Bateman, August 1998 to January 2000.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; J. LaVar Bateman; 1998-2000.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2143.xml
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; Religious gatherings--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Corporate minutes; Histories; Letters; Photographs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Brian D. Reeves (University Archivist) and Joshua A. Howard (Student Intern); May 2000.
- Appraisal Information
- University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010). Personal papers of students, faculty, staff which relate to the university’s work.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bateman (J. LaVar) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Brian D. Reeves and Joshua A. Howard
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:49-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid encoded in English.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Professor of speech at Brigham Young University, 1949-1985; chairman, University Speaker's Bureau, 1956-1973; chairman, Forum Assemblies Committee, 1966-1973; chairman, Department of Communications, 1982-1985.
comments powered by Disqus