Ralph E. Harold motion picture posters and memorabilia
Ralph E. Harold motion picture posters and memorabilia
Dates: approximately 1930-1990
Consists of motion picture posters, photographs, motion picture film, a videocassette, and other movie memorabilia.
- Extent: 2 cartons (8.66 linear ft.)
- Creator: Harold, Ralph E.
- Call Number: MSS 2153
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Arts & Communications Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: No public access except by permission of curator of Film and Communications Archive.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection has not fully been inventoried. Those containers that have been inventoried are arranged in two series: 1. Ralph E. Harold studio photographs, circa 1920s-1960s; and 2. Ralph E. Harold movie memorabilia, undated.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Ralph E. Harold motion picture posters and memorabilia must be obtained from theSupervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2153; Ralph E. Harold motion picture posters and memorabilia; Arts and Communications Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 2153, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials acquired by Harold in the course of his business dealings.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ralph E. Harold.
- Separated Material
- In 1999 R. E. Harold donated five cartons of books to the BYU Archives. The books were separated from the archives collection and given to library acquisitions for inclusion in the library’s regular collection. Titles are listed on the following inventory. The inventory has been alphabetized by author’s name. Acker, Ally, Reel Women, 1991. Ash, Rene L., The Motion Picture Film Editor, 1974. Baker, Fred with Ross Firestone, Movie People, 1973, (paperback). Barbour, Alan G., Days of Thrills and Adventure, 1970, (paperback). Baxter, John, The Gangster Film, 1970. Beck, Jerry and Will Friedwald, Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, 1989, (paperback). Behlmer, Rudy, Behind the Scenes, 1990, (paperback). Bergman, Andrew, We’re in the Money, 1971, (paperback). Berman, Robert A., Fade In: The Screenwriting Process, 1988, (paperback). Blacker, Irwin R., The Elements of Screenwriting, 1986, (paperback). Bowers, Ronald, The Selznick Players, 1976. Buscombe, Edward editor, The BFI Companion to the Western, 1988. Buxton, Frank and Bill Owen, The Big Broadcast, 1972. Cameron, Ian, Adventure in the Movies, 1973. Cannom, Robert C., Van Dyke and the Mythical City, Hollywood, 1948. Conde, John A., Cars with Personalities, 1982. Crowther, Bruce, Captured on Film The Prison Movie, 1989. Curti, Carlo, Skouros King of Fox Studios, 1967, (paperback). Custen, George F., Bio/Pics, 1992. Davis, Richard, The Encyclopedia of Horror, 1981. Dmytrk, Edward, On Screen Directing, 1984, (paperback). Everson, William K., The Bad Guys, 1964. Finler, Joel W., The Movie Directors Story, 1985. Finler, Joel W., The Hollywood Story, 1988. Gomery, Douglas, Shared Pleasures, 1992, (paperback). Hagner, John G., Falling for Stars, 1990, (photocopy book). Hagner, John G., Falling for Stars, 1990, pb, inscribed on front cover (photocopy book). Halas, John and David Rider, The Great Movie Cartoon Parade, 1976, (paperback). Hamilton, Ian, Writers in Hollywood 1915-1951, 1990, (paperback). Hamley & Co., Cowboy Clothing and Gear, 1995, (paperback). Haver, Ronald, A Star Is Born, 1988. Henstell, Bruce editor, Frank Capra, One Man--One Film, pamphlet, 1971, (paperback). Higby, Mary Jane, Tune in Tomorrow, 1968. Hirsch, Foster, Acting Hollywood Style, 1991. Hollyn, Norman, The Film Editing Room Handbook, 1990, (paperback). Hollywood Studio Magazine, December 1978. Hutchinson, Tom, Niven’s Hollywood, 1984. Kael, Pauline, I Lost It at the Movies, 1965, (paperback). Kael, Pauline, Deeper into Movies, 1973, (paperback). Karlin, Fred, Listening to Movies, 1994. Katz, Ephraim, The Film Encyclopedia, 1979. Katz, Steven D., Film Directing Shot by Shot, 1991, (paperback). Kazan, Elia, On What Makes a Director, pamphlet, 1973, (paperback). Kobal, John, Gods and Goddesses of the Movies, 1973. Kobal, John editor, Movie Star Portraits of the Forties, 1977, (paperback). Lahue, Kalton C., Bound and Gagged, 1968. Lahue, Kalton C., Dreams for Sale, 1971. Lambert, Gavin, GWTW The Making of Gone with the Wind, 1973. Lenburg, Jeff, The Great Cartoon Directors, 1983. Maltin, Leonard, Of Mice and Magic, 1980. Maltin, Leonard, Movie Comedy Teams, 1970, (paperback). Mariotti, Rosamond, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Stars of Hollywood, 1938. Mayer, Michael F., The Film Industries, 1973, (paperback). McBride, Joseph editor, Film makers on Film Making Volume One, 1983, (paperback). McBride, Joseph editor, Film makers on Film Making Volume Two, 1983, (paperback). McClelland, Doug, Forties Film Talk, 1992. McGilligan, Pat, Backstory, 1986, (paperback). McGilligan, Pat, Backstory 2, 1991. Meyers, Jeffrey, Gary Cooper, 1998. Milberg, Doris, Repeat Performances, 1990, (paperback). Milne, Tom, Mamoulian, 1969, (paperback). O’Dell, Paul, Griffith and the Rise of Hollywood, 1970. Parish, James Robert and Don E. Stanke, The Swashbucklers, 1976. Peary, Danny and Gerald Peary, The American Animated Cartoon, 1980, (paperback). Pratley, Gerald, The Cinema of Otto Preminger, 1971. Rich, Sharon, Sweethearts, 1994. Riva, Maria, Marlene Dietrich, 1993. Robertson, Patrick, Guiness Film Facts and Feats, 1985, (paperback). Rose, Frank, The Agency, 1995. Sackett, Susan, Box Office Hits, 1990, (paperback). Searles, Baird, Epic!, 1990. Server, Lee, Screenwriter, 1987. Settel, Irving, A Pictorial History of Radio, 1960. Shamamian, Michael editor, Rouben Mamoulian Style is the Man, pamphlet, 1971, (paperback). Sherman, Eric, Directing the Film, 1976, (paperback). Shipman, David, A Pictorial History of Science Fiction Films, 1985. Shipman, David, The Story of Cinema, 1982. Silver, Alain and Elizabeth Ward editors, Film Noir, 1988, (paperback). Sixty Famous Screen Stars, How I Broke into the Movies, 1930. Solomon, Charles, Enchanted Drawings The History of Animation, 1989. Spoto, Donald, Madcap The Life of Preston Sturges, 1990. Stephenson, Ralph and Jean Debrix, The Cinema as Art, 1965, (paperback). Temple, Shirley, My Young Life, 1945. Thomas, Frank and Ollie Johnston, Disney Animation The Illusion of Life, popular edition, 1984, (paperback). Classics of the Foreign Film, 1962. Variety Obituaries Volume 7: 1969-1974, 1988. Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse: The First Fifty Years, pamphlet, 1978, (paperback). Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary, 1979. Wiese, Michael, Film & Video Budgets, 1990, (paperback). Wiese, Michael, Film & Video Marketing, 1989, (paperback). Wiese, Michael, Home Video: Producing for the Home Market, 1986, (paperback). Wiley, Mason and Damien Bona, Inside Oscar, 1988, (paperback). Wood, Leslie, The Miracle of the Movies, 1947. Zolotow, Maurice, Billy Wilder in Hollywood, 1977.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2153.xml
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Performing Arts
- Genre / Form
- Feature films; Film posters; Motion pictures; Photographs; Videocassettes
- Processing Information
- R. E. Harold donated a large collection of movie posters to the BYU Archives in 1986. A copy of his inventory, A Categorical Panorama of Poster Materials from Hollywood’s Golden Era, prepared in 1981, is also available. It includes an index and photocopied images of the posters.
- Appraisal Information
- Arts and Communications. Collection deals with the performing arts, especially motion pictures.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Harold (Ralph E.) motion picture posters and memorabilia
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by James V. D'Arc
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-09T18:01-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Dealer in movie posters and memorabilia.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 2153
Ralph E. Harold studio photographs
Dates: circa 1920s-1960s
Ralph E. Harold movie memorabilia
Help with this Collection
Curator - Arts & Communications Archives