George D. Marler papers
George D. Marler papers
Papers relate primarily to his research on geysers and hot springs in Yellowstone Park, and related themes. Includes an unpublished autobiography; field notebooks; correspondence; articles and books, including drafts by Marler and others; photographs; slides of thermal features in Yellowstone Park; and other items.
- Extent: 8 cartons (8 linear ft.)
- Creator: Marler, George Dewey, 1898-1978
- Call Number: MSS 2171
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: The collection is unprocessed and can be accessed only with permission of the Curator of 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the George D. Marler papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2171; George D. Marler papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 2171, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Laura Marler, Kim and Barbara Turley, and Robert Witzke, 1991-1992.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Laura Marler, Kim and Barbara Turley, and Robert Witzke; 1991-1992.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2171.xml
- Subject Terms
- Agriculture and Natural Resources; Geysers; Hot springs; Mines and Mineral Resources; Yellowstone National Park
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Autobiographies; Drafts (Documents); Field notes; Letters; Photographs; Slides (Photography)
- Processing Information
- Processed; May 2000.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS scholarship and historiography (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts Collecting Policy, 2009).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Marler (George D.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Processed under the direction of Curator of 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-24T04:01-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid encoded in English.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Born in Thornton, Idaho. Latter-day Saint missionary to Central States Mission, 1919-1922. Began working as a ranger naturalist at Yellowstone National Park, 1931. Married Laura Sherburne, 1946. Retired from permanent position at Yellowstone, 1966. Recipient of honorary doctorate degree from Brigham Young University, 1962; and citation for distinguished service from US Department of Interior, 1967, for contributions in the field of hydrothermal geology at Yellowstone National Park.
comments powered by Disqus