Asahel D. Woodruff professional papers
Asahel D. Woodruff professional papers
Contains vita; correspondence with Ernest L. Wilkinson, and others; reports; education, church, radio, and other addresses given by Woodruff. Also contains curriculum development materials from Brigham Young University, Cornell University and the University of Utah, including overheads and other materials, plus lesson plans on behavioral teaching methods, effective teaching methods, development of concepts, basic teaching concepts, and teaching of values. Also includes research on different teaching methods and theories; personal publications and articles; and film of Woodruff delivering an address at Pennsylvania Art Education Association, 1967.
- Extent: 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Woodruff, Asahel D. (Asahel Davis), 1904
- Call Number: MSS 2184
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Asahel D. Woodruff professional papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2184; Asahel D. Woodruff professional papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 2184, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The collection was received from Gail W. Clark and Carolyn W. Sutherland, daughters of Asahel D. Woodruff, in 1999.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Gail W. Clark and Carolyn W. Sutherland; 1999.
- Separated Material
- The following printed items were removed from the collection in November 1999 and given to the printed acquisitions section of the Harold B. Lee Library: Allport, Floyd H. Theories of Perception and the Concept of Structure. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1955. Alpern, Mathew, Merle Lawrence, and David Wolsk. Sensory Processes. Belmont: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, 1967. ASCD 1964Yearbook Committee. Individualizing Instruction. Washington D.C.: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, NEA, 1964. Beardslee, David C. and Michael Wertheimer. Readings in Perception. New Jersey: D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., 1958. Bloom, Benjamin S. (Editor) Taxonomy of Educational Objectives. The Classification of Educational Goals. Handbook 1: Cognitive Domain. New York: Longmans, Green and Co., 1956. Braithwaite, Royden C. Thesis - A Study of the Values of Pre-school Children. Cornell University, 1950. Brauner, Charles J. and Hobert W. Burns. Problems in Education and Philosophy. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1965. Broudy, Harry S., J. Donald Butler, and George S. Counts. Studies in Contemporary Educational Thought. Kansas: The Teachers College Press, 1960. Broudy, Harry S. Building a Philosophy of Education, 2nd Edition. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1961. Broudy, Harry S. Aims in Adult Education * I: A Realist View. Chicago: The Center for the Study of Liberal Education for Adults, 1960. Buswell, Guy T. Patterns of Thinking in Solving Problems. Berkeley and Los Angeles : University of California Press, 1956. Childs, John L., and Frank W. Lanham. The University of Michigan School of Education Bulletin Vol.29, Num. 8. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan, 1958. College of Education RECORD, Vol. II, No. 3. Moscow, ID: College of Education of the University of Moscow, Spring, 1963. Cook, Ann, and Herb Mack. Informal Schools in Britain Today: The Teacher's Role. New York: Citation Press, 1971. Dember, William. Visual Perception: The Nineteenth Century. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1964. Di Vesta, Francis J. Thesis: The Role of Personal Values and Process Concepts in the Personal and Social Adjustment of Adolescents. Cornell University, 1948. Drever, James. A Dictionary of Psychology. Baltimore: Penguin Books, 1952. Elam, Stanley (Ed.). Education and the Structure of Knowledge. Chicago: Rand McNally & Company, 1964. Elkind, David, and John H. Flavell. Studies in Cognitive Development. New York: Oxford University Press, 1969. English, Horace B. A Student's Dictionary of Psychological Terms. New York: Harper & Brothers Publishers, 1934. Eshleman, Robert Forney. A Study of Changes in the Value Patterns of the Church of the Brethren. Cornell University, 1948. Faculty Publication: William M. Stewart School, University of Utah. Frontiers of Thinking. Farnham-Diggory, Sylvia. Cognitive Processes in Education: A Psychological Preparation for Teaching and Curriculum Development. San Francisco: Harper & Row, Publishers, 1972. Farnham-Diggory, Sylvia. Instructor's Manual for Cognitive Processes in Education: A Psychological Preparation for Teaching and Curriculum Development. Evanston: Harper & Row, Publishers, 1972. Farnham-Diggory, Sylvia. Study Guide for Cognitive Processes in Education: A Psychological Preparation for Teaching and Curriculum Development. Evanston: Harper & Row, Publishers, 1972. Fielden, Charles Lawrence. The Value Patterns and Process Concepts of Socially Accepted and Socially Unaccepted Eleventh Grade Boys. University of Tennessee, 1950. Fiske, Donald W. and Salvatore R. Maddi. Functions of Varied Experience. Illinois: The Dorsey Press, Inc., 1961. Fleming, Malcolm I. Viewpoints: Aspects of Perception- Their relation to Instructional Communications. Indiana: School of Education, Indiana University, 1971. Fromm, Erich. Man For Himself: An Inquiry into the Psychology of Ethics. New York: Rinehart and Company, Incorporated, 1947. Gibson, James J. The Senses Considered as Perceptual Systems. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1966. Good, Carter V. Dictionary of Education. York, PA.: The Maple Press Company, 1945. Gordon, Joan Claire. Fear of Failure: Reading Persistence in High and Low Fear of Failure Boys Under Different Audience and Probability of Success Conditions. University of Utah, 1971. Hall, G. Stanley. Aspects of Child Life and Education. Boston: Ginn & Company, Publishers, 1907. Halpin, Andrew W. (Editor) Administrative Theory in Education. Illinois: The Interstate Printers and Publisher, Inc., 1958. Halpin, Andrew W. Theory and Research in Administration. New York: The MacMillian Company, 1966. Halpin, Andrew W. And Don B. Croft. The Organizational Climate of Schools. United States Office of Education, Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, 1962. Halpin, Andrew Williams. Thesis - Sorting Test Performance of Six Year Old Children- A Study of "Abstract" and "Concrete" Behavior. Cornell University, 1949. Halpin, Andrew W. The Leadership Behavior of School Superintendents. Ohio: College of Education, The Ohio State University, 1956. Harlow, Harry F. Learning to Love. San Francisco: Albion Publishing Company, 1971. Harper, Robert J. C., Charles C. Anderson, Clifford M. Christensen, and Steven M. Hunka. The Cognitive Processes: Readings. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1964. Harris, Dona Lindquist. A Comparative Study of Reliability and Validity of Student Groupings By Participation Style and Interest. University of Utah, 1973. Havighurst, Robert J. Human Development and Education. New York: Longmans, Green and Co., 1953. Heidbreder, Edna. Seven Psychologies. New York: D. Appleton-Century Company, 1933. Hemphill, John K., Pauline N. Pepinsky, Arnold E. Kaufman, and Milton E. Lipetz. Leadership Acts: III. The Effects Upon Attempts to Lead of Task Motivation and the Expectancy of Accomplishment of the Task. Ohio: The Ohio State University Research Foundation, 1955. Hemphill, John K., Pauline N. Pepinsky, Reuben N. Shevitz, et al. Leadership Acts: 1. An Investigation of the Relation Between Possession of Task Relevant Information and Attempts to Lead. Ohio: The Ohio State University Research Foundation, 1954. Hilgard, Ernest R. and Gordon H. Bower. Century Psychology Series: Theories of Learning. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1966. Hills, R. Jean. Toward a Science of Organization. Oregon: Center for the Advanced Study of Educational Administration, 1968. Hochberg, Julian E. Perception. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1964. Hsia, Lu I. Thesis: An Ideal teacher from Chinese Pupils' Viewpoint- A Survey of 409 Pupils in Six Senior High Schools in Shanghai, China. Cornell University, 1949. Hurvich, Leo M. and Dorothea Jameson. The Perception of Brightness and Darkness. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, Inc., 1966. Jacobs, Alfred and Lewis B. Sachs. The Psychology of Private Events. New York: Academic Press. 1971. Jacobsen, Gene S. Final Report: University of Utah Haile Sellassie I University Project 1962-1971. In Cooperation with The United States Agency for International Development, 1971. Jones, Marshall R., (Ed). Nebraska Symposium on Motivation, 1963. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1963. Journal of Teacher Education Vol. XXIV. American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, 1973. Journal of Health Physical Education Recreation: Ideas and People. St. Louis, Mo.: The C.V. Mosby Company Publishers, 1967. Kapfer, Miriam B. Behavioral Objectives: The Position of the Pendulum. New Jersey: Educational Technology Publications, 1978. Krathwohl, David R., Benjamin S. Bloom, and Bertram B. Masia. Taxonomy of Educational Objectives: The Classification of Educational Goals. Handbook II: Affective Domain. New York: David McKay Company, Inc., 1956. Labov, William. Language in the Inner City: Studies in the Black English Vernacular. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1972. Macdonald, James B. and Robert R. Leeper, eds. Language and Meaning. Washington D.C.: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, NEA, 1966. Macdonald, James B., and Robert R. Leeper, eds. Theories of Instruction. Washington D.C.: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 1965. Maryland Music Educator, Vol. VIII Num. 4. April 1962. Mcgeoch, John A. and Arthur L. Irion. The Psychology of Human Learning. New York: Longmans, Green and Co., 1952. McMurrin, Sterling M. "What About the Philosophy of Education?". The Journal of Philosophy, Vol. LIX, No. 22. Lancaster, PA: Lancaster Press, Inc., 1962. Muir, Leo J. The Upward Reach. Salt Lake City: Deseret News Press, 1930. Music Educators Journal Vol. 65 Num. 8. Official Magazine of the Music Educators National Conference, April 1979. Nakao, Gary. Sterilization and the Mentally Retarded. University of Utah, 1974. Nakao, Gary. An Evaluation of the Behavior Modification Program used in the Maximum Security Unit of the Utah State Industrial School, 1970. University of Utah, 1970. Oberling, Martha. Thesis - Is Pascal the Author of the Discours Sur Les Passions De L'amour?Cornell University, 1948. Onwuegbu, Obed Isigwuzo. Verbal and Perceptual Learning in a Familiar and Unfamiliar Situation. University of Utah, 1970. Paine, Louise Tips. Thesis: A Survey of Current Personnel Practices in Selected Colleges and Universities as Related to the Functions of the Office of the Dean of Women. Cornell University, 1949. Pepinsky, Pauline N., John K. Hemphill, and Reuben N. Shevitz. Leadership Acts: II. The Relation Between Needs for Achievement and Affiliation and Attempts to Lead Under Conditions of Acceptance and Rejection. Ohio: The Ohio State University Research Foundation, 1955. Prescott, Daniel A. Emotion and the Educative Process. Washington D.C.: American Council on Education, 1938. Pryor, Letty Stallings. Thesis - Concepts of Teaching: A Comparison of the Value Ratings Made by Selected Teachers in Tennessee. The University of Tennessee, 1964. Purves, Alan C., and Victoria Rippere. Elements of Writing about a Literary Work: A Study of Response to Literature. Illinois: National Council of Teachers of English, 1968. Rand, Ayn. Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology. New York: The Objectivist, Inc., 1967. Ranson, Stephen Walter. The Anatomy of the Nervous System from the Standpoint of Development and Function. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Company, 1940. Reed, Elizabeth S. American Psychological Association 1963 Directory. Maryland: Port City Press, Inc., 1963. Ross, J. Alan, and Ralph Thompson. (Ed.) Proceedings of the Summer Conference, Vol. XII. Bellingham, WA: Western Washington College Bulletin, 1959. Ross, Alice Anne. A Study to Determine Criteria for the Selection of Students for Nursery School Teacher Education. Cornell University, 1947. Rush, Carl H., Jr. Group Dimensions of Aircrews. Ohio: The Ohio State University Research Foundation, n.d. Sanderson, Alice Cecilia. Thesis: Stability of Value Patterns of selected Students During Four Years at the New York State College of home Economics at Cornell University. Cornell University, 1948. Schorow, Mitchell. A Study of the Reliability and Validity of Self-Reported Group Participation Style. University of Utah, 1971. Shane, Harold G., and Hollis L. Caswell. College of Education Semi-Centennial Address. Ohio: Kent State University, 1960. Shaver, James P. Values and Schooling: Perspectives for School People and Parents. Faculty Association Utah State University, 1972. Shaver, James P. Values and Schooling: Perspectives for School People and Parents. Logan, UT: Faculty Association, Spring, 1972. Sherif, Muzafer and Carolyn W. Sherif. Social Psychology. New York: Harper & Row, Publishers, 1969. Sherif, Muzafer and Hadley Cantril. The Psychology of Ego-Involvements. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1947. Shevitz, Reuben N. Leadership Acts: IV. An Investigation of the Relation Between Exclusive Possession of Information and Attempts to Lead. Ohio: The Ohio State University Research Foundation, 1955. Solley, Charles M. and Gardner Murphy. Development of the Perceptual World. New York: Basic Books, Inc., 1960. Solley, Charles M. and Gardner Murphy. Development of the Perceptual World. New York: Basic Books, Inc., 1960. Stoddard, George D. The Meaning of Intelligence. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1949. The Nature of Concepts, Their Inter-relation and Role in Social Structure. Oklahoma: Oklahoma A & M College, 1950. Phenix, Philip H. Realms of Meaning: A Philosophy of the Curriculum for General Education. San Francisco: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1964. Thompson, Merritt M. An Outline of the History of Education. New York: Barnes & Noble, Inc., 1934. Tolman, Edward C. Purposive Behavior in Animals and Men. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1949. Travers, Robert M. W. Essentials of Learning: An Overview for Students of Education. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1972. Travers, Robert M. W. Essentials of Learning: An Overview for Students of Education. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1963. Verplanck, William S. A Glossary of Some Terms Used in the Objective Science of Behavior. Lancaster, PA: American Psychological Association, Inc., 1957. Vogely, Maxine Arnold. A Study of Factors Which Have Influences Some Students in the New York State College of Home Economics to Choose, or not to Choose, Home Economics Teaching in the Public Schools as a Vocation. Cornell University, 1947. Wahlquist, John T., The Philosophy of American Education. New York: The Ronald Press Company, 1942. Warren, Howard C. Dictionary of Psychology. San Francisco: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1934. Weintraub, Daniel J. and Edward L. Walker. Perception. California: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, 1966. Wilson, John. Thinking with Concepts. London: Cambridge University Press, 1963. Woodruff, Asahel D. "How Music Concepts are Developed..." Music Educators Journal, Vol. 56, No. 6. Mount Morris, Illinois: 1970. Woodruff, Asahel D. "Criticism and Response in American Education: An Expert's Look." The Utah Alumnus, Vol. 41, No. 3. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Alumni Association, 1965. Woodruff, Asahel D. "Problems in Improving Teacher Education." The Journal of Teacher Education, Vol. IX, No. 3. Washington, D.C.: The National Commission on Teacher Education and Professional Standards, 1958. Woodruff, Asahel D. "The Use of Concepts in Teaching and Learning." The Journal of Teacher Education, Vol. XV Num.1. March 1964. Woodruff, Asahel D. and Janyce L. Taylor. A Teaching Behavior Code. Salt Lake City: The Utah State Board of Education, 1968. Woodruff, D. "Open Up the Well of Feelings." Music Educators Journal, Vol. 58, No. 1. Washington, D.C.: 1971. Woodruff, Asahel D. "Concept Teaching in Music." The Instrumentalist, Vol. XIX, No. 3. Evanston, Ill.: The Instrumentalist Co., 1964. Woodruff, Asahel D., Gertrude Hildreth, et al. Educational Administration and Supervision: Including Teacher Training, Vol. XXXII, No. 1. Baltimore: Warwick & York, Inc., 1946. Woodruff, Asahel D. Teaching the Gospel. Salt Lake City: The Deseret News Press, 1961. Woodruff, D. The Teacher's Guide for Teaching the Gospel. Salt Lake City: Deseret News Press, 1961. Woodruff, Asahel D. The Course of Study and Teacher's Guide for Teaching the Gospel, Course 23. Salt Lake City: The Deseret News Press, 1961. Woodruff, Asahel D., W. A. Saucier, et al. Educational Administration and Supervision: Including Teacher Training, Vol. XXXI, No.5. Baltimore: Warwick & York, Inc., 1945. Woodruff, Asahel D., George Stefansky, et al. The Journal of Educational Sociology, Vol. 18, No.1. New York: The Payne Educational Sociology Foundation, Inc., 1944. Woodruff, Asahel D., Israel S. Chipkin, et al. Religious Education, Vol. XXXVIII, No. 5. Chicago: The Religious Education Association, 1943. Woodruff, Asahel D., Verner M. Sims, et al. Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol.8, No.4. 1948. Woodruff, Asahel D., Louis L. McQuitty, et al. Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol.9, No.1. 1949. Woodruff, Asahel D., Clifford P. Froelich, et al. Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol. 9, No.3, Part 1. 1949. Yee, Kay Mya. An Essay: Emotion Considered in Personal Adjustment of Young People in Burma. Cornell University, 1948.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2184.xml
- Subject Terms
- Cornell University--Faculty; Wilkinson, Ernest L., 1899-1978; Colleges and Universities; Education
- Genre / Form
- Lecture notes; Letters; Motion picture plays; Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- Processing Information
- Processed; Brian D. Reeves (University Archivist) and Heather A. Robins (Student Assistant); February 2000.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Woodruff (Asahel D.) professional papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Brian D. Reeves and Heather A. Robins
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-14T16:26-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Asahel D. Woodruff (b. 1904) was Dean of Brigham Young University Graduate School, 1949-1952; dean, College of Education, BYU, 1952-?; and dean College of Education, University of Utah.
comments powered by Disqus